• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all

Guest floppygoose

Guest floppygoose

Just a quick intro, my name's Phil and I live in Northampton. I have recently joined the Northamptonshire Natural History Society which has a healthy astronomy section and which meets regularly. Like many areas there have been stargazing live events locally over the past couple of weeks where the attendances have been phenomenal, although clouds tonight put a bit of a dampener on things. I would be interested to learn what else is available in the area, whether any decent dark sky sites are within fairly easy reach, and to keep in touch with local events.

All the best

Phil

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Our dark site is half way between Notts and Leics - not totally dark but the village lights are very low, we're part shielded from them, and we have a good 270 degs level panorama. We do have another site in Belper serving the northern area of EMS which is darker but probably a bit far for you. But you'd be welcome to trip along to either for a recce.

Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Guest floppygoose

Hi Phil, a warm welcome to EMS.

Have a look on this dark sky map to see if there are any places that are local to you that could be useful.

http://www.avex-asso.org/dossiers/wordpress/?page_id=127

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Cheers Baz, that's really useful, but it's also depressing as it puts into perspective the almost complete lack of truly dark sky sites, and things can only get worse

Phil

Guest floppygoose

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Our dark site is half way between Notts and Leics - not totally dark but the village lights are very low, we're part shielded from them, and we have a good 270 degs level panorama. We do have another site in Belper serving the northern area of EMS which is darker but probably a bit far for you. But you'd be welcome to trip along to either for a recce.

Hope you enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. We do spend the occasional weekend up in Tibshelf, which is not far from Belper. Next time I'm up that way maybe I'll take my scope along and check it out - thanks

Phil