• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Buying new bits of kit

Guest Jamie S

Guest Jamie S

Hi all, I recently bought a SW 150p/1200mm on an eq3-2 mount, I am thoroughly enjoying my viewings so far, all be it not from a dark site. I was just curios as to what my first upgrade could be to, it came with a super 10mm and a super 25mm long eye relief eyepiece, and also a 2 x Barlow, would my upgrade be to a better eyepiece, and what would be the better choices? Thanks in advance.

Hope the event last night went well, sorry I couldn't make it. It was the wife's turn to go out and earn some crust.

Jamie.

You are right about the eyepieces, the 25mm isn't too bad, but the 10mm is somewhat lacking. The Barlow isn't much good either.

Eyepieces are quite subjective, and just because you pay more money, it doesn't guarantee they will suit you.

Come to one of the meets, people will be happy to show you what they use, and let you see through them.

I had a 2" 26mm eyepiece which I bought second hand, it had terrific come towards the edge of the view, (The stars distorted and looked like seagulls) , but the view through the centre was ideal for me. I only recently upgraded to a better quality version of the same eyepiece.

Don't be tempted to go for huge amounts of magnification, there are few times of good seeing that will let the eyepiece perform correctly. Over time build up a selection of sizes so that you can get the best view possible for the conditions available.

Or get a quality zoom eyepiece such as the Baader 8-24mm one, don't buy one of the cheaper one's, it will disappoint you, as they have a very narrow field of view.

Have a read of this article, it should give you an idea of what might suit you.

http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

Hi Jamie - I think that's the 150PL you have there.

What sort of budget did you have in mind for each eyepiece and how many are you looking for? There's lots of options which largely depend on what you feel comfy with and whats within budget.

Whatever you do I would try a few first so you can determine what you want and what level of quality you expect. You can do that just by joining us for a session sometime and borrowing a few loaners to try out. :)

Hi jamie. Where abouts are you? My astro-neighbour Leigh [xanthic] has very similar kit and he has done various things with his; track him down and he will be able to give you some advice / show you what he has done.

James

My first upgrade was the Baader 8-24mm zoom. It's a great eyepiece - you effectively get the range of 5 eyepieces for the price of 2. It's not quite up to the standard of the prime lenses (they seem to be a little sharper and have less coma) but it's a huge step up from the stock eyepieces. As mentioned above, try and come along to a meet and try some out.

Guest Jamie S

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look at the Eye piece you mentioned, that's right, the 150PL, I live in alvaston, derby, so not far from the belper site, which I will try and get to, the weathers looking good tonight so I might venture out somewhere or have a session at home.

Come along and try some of the members kit. you need to try eye pieces before you spend any money, even the most expensive eyepieces are no good If its not comfortable to look through.

Andy.