• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Help with Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT

Guest tracyg

After an evening of frustration trying to align the scope using Sky Align and failing three times we tried two star alignment and got the message 'alignment successful'. Hoorah! But then when we selected M042 to view the Orion Nebula at first we received an error message (can't blooming remember it now)' so we started the process again, got 'alignment successful', then asked for M042 again, no error message this time and appeared to be doing something (a mixture of an upright line and a slash in the top right corner of the screen) as if it was searching but failed to slew anywhere. I appreciate that this may sound vagueish but can anyone help as to why the scope didn't slew to the nebula like the instructions said it would. We ensured the scope was level and the finderscope lined up too.

Any help would be appreciated.

One consolation was we did manage to see the atmosphere on Jupiter and its moons as well as the Orion Nebula when searching purely via the finderscope, just unable to goto and track.

How is it powered Tracy? These alt/az mounts often use regular batteries which just don't last very long - if the power drops below a certain level then either one or both axes just stop moving - even though the little wheel in top right of the handset appears to be spinning.

You may need to get either a field pack or a leisure battery - but check the spec in the back of the manual for the required voltage (some work on 6V whilst most use 12V).

It would however be better to know what that message is first - cos that indicates the real problem. :)

(It's possible you were close to the object and it was slowly approaching it - you wouldn't sense the movement if that were the case - you only see bigger slews which move faster till the approach)

Thank you Kim, we did wonder about the batteries as it appeared to slow down but it was still moving using the hand controller. They are just regular batteries that came with the scope. We'll get them changed and try again. (Once we've warmed up)!

We had two star aligned using Alioth and Dubhe in The Plough then tried to goto Orion Nebula.

Ooh, if it's just the bloomin' batteries!

You may need to get either a field pack or a leisure battery - but check the spec in the back of the manual for the required voltage (some work on 6V whilst most use 12V).

Spec in back of book says "12 V DC - 750 mA (Tip Positive)". What's that mean? I've searched online but it's gobbledygook to me.

It will run off a 12 volt battery, and will draw 3/4 of an Amp current. When you look at the plug that goes into the mount, the central bit should be positive (+) and the outer bit is negative(-). If this is the wrong way round it can fry the electronics.

If you aren't sure someone will help you, Iam down the road at Watnall.

Hi Tracey, Like Martyn I`m just down the road in Hucknall, I have a battery and connectors that should fit your mount (I use my 12V battery to power my dew heaters etc) so I can pop round one night to just try a test (doesn't have to be clear) or you are more than welcome to come to mine.

Let either of us know, we will hopefully have you up and running in no time.

:)

As everyone has said Tracy more than likely a power issue. My da has the same scope and had exactly the same problem. Now he uses a 12 volt leisure battery and it works a treat. Using regular batteries for these scopes just doesn't work. I am not sure why they even manufacture them to take regular batteries if I am honest. I willing to bet a kidney that when Baz/Daz hook up a big 12V battery to your scope it will work properly :)

I had a similar problem when I first got my Celestron. It took me half an hour to realise that the date should be entered as  month,day,year and not day,month,year.

I had a similar problem when I first got my Celestron. It took me half an hour to realise that the date should be entered as  month,day,year and not day,month,year.

Yup - that's another potential problem - we've all done that before - in fact I still sometimes do it being a dozy old git now and then lol.

Maplins are doing an offer on the "5 in 1" field packs at the moment Tracy - I've had one for three years now and it's still going strong - but they do need fully charging regularly (once every 12 wks when not in use) to keep them in tip top condition (and obviously after every session).

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/portable-power-jump-starter-5-in-1-300a-260-psi-compressor-a67hy

That's brilliant everyone, many thanks. I'll mention all this to my young man and if he's unsure, I'll arrange a meet with Baz or Darren so I don't bugger up my scope before I've really started with it.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say, but this forum/club is great. What is probably only a relatively small problem is sorted nice and quickly and it doesn't matter how daft I come across, you are all really nice.

I did at least enter the date the right way round. :-)

We're always glad to help out Tracy - we all started exactly where you are today so we know how frustrating it can be.

Pop and see Baz or Daz and one of them will hook it up to a field pack or leisure battery and check it over for you (if you were in Leicester I'd suggest me). Tip: Go on a clear evening and you'll get a sky demo from them with your own scope. :)