• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M1 - first guided image

xanthic

I finally got a clear night and my head around Metaguide. I had no luck with PHD and my camera (QHY5-II), though might revisit it now that I sort of know what I'm doing. Had a test run on M1, this is the result of 5 x 600 sec subs, 4 darks and 22 flats. For the flats used the LED panel that wolfman_55 mentioned and it worked a treat for the price. The image is pretty noisy, but I'm guessing thats a combination of too few subs and high ISO. Fingers crossed for more clear skies and getting some more data.

M1_19012014.jpg

Great first shot! Stars are almost completely round too so guiding nearly spot on. Great structure in the crab and nice colour too. If be chuffed with that! Nice work :)

Very nice

good work on the guiding

yes high iso will give you a bit of noise- what did you use  I use 800 for the 1000D and as you say more data helps

Steve

As i text you earlier, I'm really impressed. There is so much depth and sense that it's not a 2D structure, and the detail in the filaments is great.

Superb work!

JD

P.s. i'd like the background to be more dark, and have less of a reddish hue, if I was being picky :)

Thanks all :)

Ibbo - yes, this was ISO800. I need to get an external power connector for the camera too.

James - I've since tweaked the white balance and got the background looking a bit cleaner and more neutral.

Sheila - I'm glad you mentioned field rotation. Just realised I shifted the scope in the rings when I first set up and didn't rotate it back. That hopefully explains that one.

Thanks all :)

Ibbo - yes, this was ISO800. I need to get an external power connector for the camera too.

James - I've since tweaked the white balance and got the background looking a bit cleaner and more neutral.

Sheila - I'm glad you mentioned field rotation. Just realised I shifted the scope in the rings when I first set up and didn't rotate it back. That hopefully explains that one.

erm no i dont think that is what i meant.  Your stars are ever so slightly out of round, i no expert but the usually means if guided that your

PA could have been out, but some folks more techie than me might explain more. :D  i could quite easily be wrong :wacko:

Edited by Sheila

I've just been through the subs and the eariler ones look better than the later ones. In my excitement of getting it to work, it did forget to switch the dew heater on the guide scope. It certainly was misted over when I checked it later on. I'm wondering if that made the guide star blobby and drop the accuracy? I thought my PA was ok to be honest, but happy to be proved wrong.

Guest Kheldar

Great start Xanthic :)

I'm going with possible coma on the left hand side, and probably agree with your assessment that the guiding may have deteriorated during the night. No real signs of rotation to my eyes (which are NEVER to be trusted) :lol:

Maxim reports the stars as being (on average) 15% out of round which is not bad at all for a first run! :D

Edited by Kheldar

see told you someone would come along and explain what is was :D

Edited by Sheila

Thanks Stephen and Rob.  Yes, it is cropped. The nebula looked a bit lost in the original framing, so I cropped it down (also to get rid of some of the coma! I think I know what my next purchase will be...).