• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Wide Field Shots from Andalucia

Johnnyaardvark

Had some super dark skies on a holiday a few years back. One of those times I really wished I had a scope and the ability to track the sky. Had some fun though and the milky way was stunning!

6717786549_20a92200f2_b.jpg
Star Trails by sja88, on Flickr

Not totally without light pollution...

6717785209_0840a9664d_b.jpg
A faint Andromeda Spiral M31 above Genalguacil by sja88, on Flickr

The stunning view of the Milky Way...

6717784431_76e637ab30_b.jpg
Milky Way Composite by sja88, on Flickr

A home under the stars...

6717782899_342448739c_b.jpg
Yurt and the Milky Way by sja88, on Flickr

Steve

They are all very nice Steve, but I like the third photo best. The Milky Way really stands out with lots of DSO's visible from Sagittarius to Cygnus :)

Thanks James and Pete,

Have to say I wished I'd had a scope and tracking especially as they are quite grainy at 3200ISO to keep the exposure time down.

12058547485_1807d1a1c1_b.jpg
Spain2011-241-DSC_0198_01 by sja88, on Flickr

This version of a similar piece of sky was taken a couple of days before. Pete, you prompted me to have a look again at what is actually visible on this (Bit of scanning using Stellarium Required for me to remind myself what DSO are on here...) They are a little clearer on this one even though it doesn't cover quite as much sky.

[Edit: Grammar and typos!]

Lagoon Nebula

Triffid Nebula

M23

Sagitarius Star Cluster

Omega Nebula

and Eagle Nebula

Are all quite visible on there. I was really happy to have caught them as I don't think they are easy to catch in the UK unless you have a really dark site and a good view of the horizon.

I hope to photograph these again sometime when I get fixed up with a scope and mount!

Regards

Steve

Edited by Johnnyaardvark