• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

National Astronomy Week, 1st-8th March 2014

dawson

http://astronomyweek.org.uk/

The only event locally I can find is by Ilkeston and District Astronomical Society, nothing else in Nottingham, Leicester, Derby, Grantham, Melton. Our East Midlands public are going to be deprived of an event....

Is there enough buzz still from Saturday night to do something during this week, or is an annual event as much as our members and public can handle?

JD

I suppose it depends if Mike's nerves can take a second bashing, lol.

If we do set up something, as long as it is at the weekend (from a public point of view I think that would make sense) then I would gladly help out again.

I only learnt about the event this morning in bed. It just sounds quite similar to Stargazing Live; giving the public an opportunity to explore astronomy. It seems the theme this year is Jupiter.

I suspect any event would be very similar to what Mike just put on: ideally a load of telescopes outside trained on Jupiter to allow people to look with their own eyes at another planet; people imaging it; people sketching it; demonstrations inside to show its comparative size; image showing its features and bands; members images and videos of it; a scientist talking about its atmosphere; then everything else which might stimulate the public to think more about astronomy (light pollution, meteor showers, moon and lunar cycles, stellarium demonstration again, star trails, hedgehogs)....

I think Mike has already constructed the formula, it would just needs tweaking to centre the focus on Jupiter.

Any event registered before 30th January is entered into a prize draw for a telescope... another potential loan scope of EMS.

I don't think it would be fair to burden Mike with the task, but as I say, I think he's already done much of the hard work this time around. I would be happy to help be involved in organising any event, and on the evening in question. Wymeswold would be a sensible venue, but might the people of Wymeswold be saturated with astronomy for one year?

James

"I don't think it would be fair to burden Mike with the task, but as I say, I think he's already done much of the hard work this time around. I would be happy to help be involved in organising any event, and on the evening in question. Wymeswold would be a sensible venue, but might the people of Wymeswold be saturated with astronomy for one year?"

Yes my very same thoughts. If you're volunteering to stage the show and coordinate everything then the staff will support and encourage the event for sure. It needn't be quite as involved as SG Live which took a lot of arranging over several months - and it might be awkward getting the same facilities so soon after the last event.

But it could be primarily an open observing session with a few "side shows" in the pavilion. The Wymeswold folks would get a chance to actually have a good look through a scope which we couldn't do on Saturday night. We might not get the same turnout though - and you'd need to arrange volunteers from the membership to help you. I'd certainly bring a scope along.

Would you be happy and have the time to take it on?

If I remember correctly the Loughborough Uni Physics Dept have run events in the past and they have an observatory.  

Do we know if they're running anything during this period and if EMS could tie in with that  ?

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/physics/about/facilities/observatory/

I have checked their web page and can't see anything publicised, but may be worth asking them.

I wouldn't want to be the "lead" on this as i'm due to have more work on my back at the end of February. I think it would be unwise for any event to rest purely on my shoulders at that time.

I am more than happy to help out though if someone else wants to take it on, else we could just plan an EMS observing session for the Friday and/or Saturday and advertise that and keep preparation to a minimum.

Jd

I'll be busy with the Ilkeston lot but id be happy to help out at any event either side of that. And of course we would make any EMS members welcome to our event on the 8th.

Nick from the council has already asked if we can do something again next year or sooner.

I would propose a smaller event for this using just the Cricket Pavilion. Slideshows of jupiter and other planets. See if a member can do a short talk on it maybe? Have a scope with a webcam hooked up and projecting live images onto a screen in there too. Then a load of scopes in the field.

We can deal with drinks I'm sure.

Well volunteered James :D .................... I can help but I really can't do it all this time. I am happy to coordinate with the council etc to grab some publicity and such but will make it clear that it will be very much more weather dependent this time around. Up to you lot really, I'm happy to help / organise most of it but not all this time and not as big. I have a number of other projects ongoing to do with the school at the minute so can't devote as much energy to this one. 

People of Wymeswold seemed very interested and keenon Saturday may help with the momentum if something was arrange again very soon

I would be up to do something as mentioned about web cams if clear would be happy to set up outside with a live image and hopfully by then Ill be able to work from van and I also have a pop up gazebo so I could show the floks what you can do with scopes laptops and DSLR and Web cams

Offers there if need folks :)

We are now registered but the event is not yet registered, in other words EMS has an account. Let me think about this for a couple of hours and I shall make an announcement.

Well volunteered Mike, I'd knew you'd give in. Maybe you should sleep on the idea before committing; you might wake up tomorrow and say "I just do have too much on".

Do we have to pay for the big scout hut? It was just a great venue, warm for kids, and apparently had nice loos, and a lovely tea lady and cake. I think having the warm area makes it a more family friendly event, as it will be very cold again inside the cricket pavillion and outside on the grass [mud]. But I'm not sure of the costs involved.

I'm happy to help out where I can.

JD

Edited by dawson

We're not using the scout hut for this one, it's pretty much a scaled down version this time around. Trust me, I've just come up with a plan which "we" are discussing. I'll post an announcement later. Be patient James :)

Mike if you need a hand with owt, let me know, I have the time to help but not to organise on my own.