• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter Watch @ Wymeswold CANCELLED

Perkil8r

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• dawson

• stash

• xanthic

Thanks folks, I'm just gathering names at the minute and formulating a more detailed plan, but it's going to be much smaller / simpler than SGL :) looking forward to it already

My mate has a projector we can borrow but he says it is noisy; "i think it might be the bulb"... He knows less about electronics than i do. I'll try and get it in advance and get leigh to look at it and see if it is up to the job.

I need to make sure i can run my rig off my battery; i have only been using mains power for the last 6 months.

Jd

James - you need to keep your battery charged up 3 or 4 times per year when not in use. Hopefully it won't be totally flat and ruined - it's almost impossible to recover from that state.

If it's had it you can get good batteries at respectable prices from Tayna. I replaced a Celestron power tank battery from there. :)

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Batteries-S284-1.html

Thanks Kim; it's been on constant trickle charge ever since i got it (and after working out how much the trickle charge would cost per annum), so it's good to go, it's just that i've physically never used it to power the mount / dew heaters etc. I am going to give it a good test before March though to make sure it all works nicely which I'm sure it will.

Jd

Mike, leigh and i had a play with computers today, and we can get two computers to talk to each other wirelessly, so i could leave my laptop with the mount and scope outside and keep jupiter on the chip of the imaging camera, and that image feed could be passed wirelessly i to the pavilion to another laptop, and from there onto a projector.

The other thing is that the moon will also be 51% illuminated that night, so we could have a second scope and camera trained on e moon with another laptop, and send that feed into the pavilion two. Someone inside the pavilion could flip between the two feeds and show jupiter and the moon, and talk about either or both of them.

Jd

Mike, leigh and i had a play with computers today, and we can get two computers to talk to each other wirelessly, so i could leave my laptop with the mount and scope outside and keep jupiter on the chip of the imaging camera, and that image feed could be passed wirelessly i to the pavilion to another laptop, and from there onto a projector.

The other thing is that the moon will also be 51% illuminated that night, so we could have a second scope and camera trained on e moon with another laptop, and send that feed into the pavilion two. Someone inside the pavilion could flip between the two feeds and show jupiter and the moon, and talk about either or both of them.

Jd

how did you manage the wireless connection??  i am not a geek but would have thought you would need a wireless signal :wacko:  just interested is all, would you use mobile wifi?

Sheila, i have no idea. Leigh did things, i just nodded and waved at a webcam and it appeared on the other device.

We plan to field test it using various imaging cameras and different distances.

Jd

Sheila, i have no idea. Leigh did things, i just nodded and waved at a webcam and it appeared on the other device.

We plan to field test it using various imaging cameras and different distances.

Jd

ah i just wondered as i know bluetooth dont reach very far so i assumed you were using a phone or something as wifi.   I use a remote desktop here but that requires

internet connection.  Will be interested to see if it is something different :)

Guest Kheldar

ah i just wondered as i know bluetooth dont reach very far so i assumed you were using a phone or something as wifi.   I use a remote desktop here but that requires

internet connection.  Will be interested to see if it is something different :)

No it doesn't, it requires a router - however you could set it up just as easily using an adhoc network to connect one computer directly to another over WiFi

No it doesn't, it requires a router - however you could set it up just as easily using an adhoc network to connect one computer directly to another over WiFi

how come my remote goes down when i have no internet then???

assumed wi fi was internet/phone based :wacko: no geek me

Edited by Sheila

Guest Kheldar

how come my remote goes down when i have no internet then???

assumed wi fi was internet/phone based

You do not lose the remote when the internet goes down, you lose the remote (and in turn the internet) when the router goes down - I have told you before that it needs to be replaced :)

WiFi is a technology that allows one device to talk to another (in your case PC to PC or PC to router, in the field case PC to PC)

Edited by Kheldar

Yes, it does use a local area network (though the cam software will work over the internet with the right configuration). I have spare routers to set up a network in the field. Some devices don't play well with ad-hoc networks (Android, for instance).

I had an issue with Team viewer as it would rather connect via the internet than the local network cables-now sorted user not setting it up correctly

which reminds me I can remove PCanywhere and VNC :)

Edited by Ibbo

I had an issue with Team viewer as it would rather connect via the internet than the local network cables-now sorted user not setting it up correctly

which reminds me I can remove PCanywhere and VNC :)

Shelia,

You can connect a number of ways as Stephen pointed out .

Use can also use a Wireless Access Point/Wireless hub (This is not a router ) which you can set up as a 2nd IP network if you wish to separate from your Internet service router (less traffic and safer from hackers).

To be honest if you have a fixed setup then I would recommend Fixed Wiring as this does not suffer from high latency(Latency is a time interval between the stimulation and response) plus higher bandwidth (GB not MB). I would also suggest this as a backup at your Demo in case you get local  wireless interference .Wired connections can run 100M. and you can,as Stephen said, do Adhoc type connection with just a cross over cable with no other routers / hubs. But you guys know your site.

Another method which is dead simple is to use 2 "Powerline Adapters(£50 for the 2)" which use your electricity to pass the networking signal - basically two box's. One plugs into the mains near your Internet Router (for example - assumes spare rj45 port on router) the other where your Telescope is. No use if your  power from batteries or if your mains supply is on two different Consumer Units(Not always true).

If you(or anyone else) needs any help in networking at any time just drop me a line - you can help me with Telescope stuff especially Astrophotography which I know  Minus 9999%  :)

Although Stephen and Leigh seem to be hot on the IT Networking.

Ideally we will run with batteries on scopes and with wireless to the projector indoors. As we plan to have the general public milling around, I'd prefer if there were as few cables as possible to trip over in the dark.

Ideally we will run with batteries on scopes and with wireless to the projector indoors. As we plan to have the general public milling around, I'd prefer if there were as few cables as possible to trip over in the dark.

Makes a lot of sense .  Astro Skipping - at least the public may see some stars when they trip :facepalm: - wrong type I grant you.

Edited by stash

Stash are you coming on 8th March? You can help with the IT issues!

Not sure bit far away yet plus I would have to dump the wife at Loughbrough at some friends. I will see nearer the time plus I am not a "Dark Lord Member".

There will be no mains power outside taken from inside the pavilion. It is a condition of the agreement that we do not do so. We are free to use the power inside the building but not to trail cables outside.