• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter Watch @ Wymeswold CANCELLED

Perkil8r

Not sure bit far away yet plus I would have to dump the wife at Loughbrough at some friends. I will see nearer the time plus I am not a "Dark Lord Member".

You don't need to be a dark site member for this event as it's a public event.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Perkil8r

• dawson

• stash

• xanthic

Mike,

Might it be possible to:

- set up a page on EMS somewhere (with an easy web address), and post a few documents for the newbie astronomer (basics of the night sky, or the seasonal night sky,  what to see with binoculars/small telescope (could be existing documents or EMS-specific ones)) and only allow say the mods to post things there, but not many things just a few (as I think new people to forums find them very intimidating as there is so much going on, and this could be a gentle introduction for them).

- print out normal credit card sized bits of paper with the EMS logo on, and the web address; printed on paper so it was cheap, and probably black and white; and leave these for people to pick up when doing public out reach events.

- any images / info sheets, hyperlinks to other sites, which were to be used at that event could be listed on that webpage.

I think this would save printing vast numbers of info sheets (and not knowing how many are needed), and would also give people a gentle introduction to the EMS forum, at minimal (potentially no) expense to EMS; and potentially increase EMS numbers if they then decided to sign up.

Just a thought.

JD

I must say I wished I'd had some slips of paper printed with the Stellarium website address at the SGL event. I had a lot of people asking for the address and it would have been good to hand it out so they could remember it.

I can make and print bits of paper, but I have no idea about websites.

If it is a potential "goer" I will start a thread elsewhere and ask for other EMSers to suggest what three or four one or two sided "fact sheets" they'd have found useful (or would imagine newbies would find useful) and then ask for volunteers to write them.

Let me know if you mods are happy with this first.

JD

Leigh, this is what I mean. You could have said "go to this webpage, and there is a link to this software which you can then down load for free. You will also be able to see all the pictures James has used in his star trail display, and print out your own 'winter night sky fact sheet' etc..."

JD

I'd say by all means print some slips of paper off if you wish, as for the website ideas, compile a proposal and PM it to me and I will put it to the Mod team for discussion before we get too far involved. I am not sure as we have the required back end on this site to facilitate what you are suggesting, so it would be foolhardy to say yes let's go and ask for suggestions from everybody at this point.

Put together an idea with a couple of links to similar things that we can have a look at and PM it to me and I shall forward it on to the rest of the mods. :)

If you need the logo, drop me a line and I will email it to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this is now cancelled.

Due to the constant bad weather the decision has been taken to cancel Jupiter Watch. Back in January the field was a bog at the Stargazing Live event, since then it has done nothing but rain. With that in mind the pitch must now be just about as wet as a wet thing could be on a wet day. There is not enough time now for it to dry up sufficiently for it to be used for our event without churning it up. Causing damage to the pitch is the last thing we want to happen.

Sorry folks, but it seems the only sensible thing to do. The last thing we need is to churn up the pitch and jeopardise our chances of being able to use it in the long term. I have thought long and hard about it and explored other possibilities but come up with nothing workable.

is the airfield still there? - i know part is an industrial estate but I used to go there to drive teach my wife how to drive a car. That was a long time ago - just a thought.

Pity I was looking forward to it !

The airfield is off limits unfortunately. When we were looking for another darksite (when we decided on Wymeswold) it was looked into. I used to go up there to fly big kites, but since then it's changed hands and it's locked up at night etc.

The airfield is still there but it's used as a luxury race car track where you can drive Lambo's, Ferrari's, and DB9's etc. It's also a massive solar farm with field fulls of panels. :)

Shame it's had to be cancelled but your all still welcome to come along to Ilkeston and districts Jupiter event on the 8th.

The airfield is still there but it's used as a luxury race car track where you can drive Lambo's, Ferrari's, and DB9's etc. It's also a massive solar farm with field fulls of panels. :)

Pity :(  - Anyone looked at ex RAF Cottesmore which is now closed. Further away granted. 

Or The Glider club near Skillington (Saltby Airfield, Skillington, Grantham) as they do "camping" which I guess is not very big during the "dark season".

Or RAF Barkston(Cranwell) as they already allow the Model flyer's (Grantham club?) to use part of the field - yes its active but not that active at night.

Or are tarmac/concrete area's "bad" for interference?

Even its a one off temp solution but IF the weather predictions are to be believed wet winters will be the norm.

Just ideas - I will shut up and go back to sleep now it was a long (clear :) ) night.

Cottesmore is now the Army Kendrew Barracks, they might not be too chuffed with a minor invasion of Astronomers.

We could always help them with there night exercises :D  

The thing to remember when choosing dark sites is the fact you need to cater for the masses. A lot of us are Nottingham, Derby, Leicester etc, if you move the dark sites too far away, nobody will turn up. For me, both dark sites are 35 minutes but if you move too far east, then the Derby lot will have further to go to get to Grantham. Nobody really wants an hour drive at 5:30 in a morning when we have pulled an all nighter. It's a tough one though, keeping it relatively close while as far as possible to avoid the LP.

I suppose we also need to realise that we can't please all of the people all of the time. And with weather and ground conditions as they are, beggars can't be choosers. I'm sure it is a difficult task to sort out new and alternative dark sites, so for the time being some of us may be stuck with a light polluted and squidgy back yard :)

Good luck to Mike and anyone else looking out for a suitable alternative.

Good luck to Mike and anyone else looking out for a suitable alternative.

I don't think we are looking for an alternative site (unless we are and I don't know about it) :P

No we are not looking for alternative sites at the moment, we have three and are very happy with them.

It was only cancelled due to the condition of the field, remember it's main purpose is a cricket pitch, and we don't want it being destroyed by lots of people walking on it while it's muddy.