• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ED80 v ED100 for AP

RonC

So for two 8 inch scopes, one at f/5 and one at f/10 (tricky i know), and with eye pieces to produce 100x "magnification", the f/5 image would appear much brighter than the f/10 one?

Jd

Yes

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonC

• dawson

• Perkil8r

• Johnnyaardvark

You nearly always find that folks imaging dso's with slow scopes have hung a reducer the size of a breeze block off the back end of it lol :lol:

Could one talk of magnification with respect to a standard camera lens focal length? e.g. if you had a 50mm lens on a camera, then in a reflector with FL 1000mm; at the Newtonian focus, you could say the magnification was 20x ? I.e. 1000/50; (relative to the size if image obtained on film or chip you get just with the camera plus the 50mm lens).

Ron, it all depends on what you want to image and also what camera you will be using.

For wide vistas the ed80 with a dslr will give excellent account and will indeed gather photons quickly. Add a reducer/flattener and you will go wider and fastet. Without the reducer and a smaller chipped ccd you wont be so wide or fast but it will still be faster and wider than the 100. If you want to go close into galaxies and planetary nebs the 100 at the longer fl will give better image scale but will by its very nature be slower and require more exposure time. Also the 100 will require more accurate guiding

Right that settles it then, an ED80 it is but should I sell or keep the Meg 72 that is now the question?

Guest Kheldar

Right that settles it then, an ED80 it is but should I sell or keep the Meg 72 that is now the question?

Do you have a use for the Meg if you buy the ED? This is my logic ... which explains why I still only have one scope :D

Guest Kheldar

And is a reducer worth getting and why?  :)

Yes, makes the scope faster and provides a wider field of view (Use 12string site to check some targets with and without reducer) HOWEVER I would not say it's an essential day one purchase

Guest Kheldar

With your Canon as the imaging camera a flattener/reducer will help with getting a nice flat field over the chip of the camera

Doh, that's the best reason of the lot Phil. Forgot we were talking DSLR here :)

Thanks Stephen  :)

Are you' moved in' and settled now?

Well we're in :lol: Big unpacking effort this weekend :o

Thanks Phil (again) yes DSLR imagaing. So another sale coming up (Meg 72)?

Unpacking the worst thing I think!! Missed you last week at WW!

Cheers

Ron

I realise this is going a bit off-topic, but what are the differences between the mak-newt and a frac imaging-wise?

The difference for me Leigh is portability! The MN190 is like a 190mm APO and I love mine but don't want to disturb it from it's set up on the pier but want a good widefield Frac for going out and about!  :D

Yes Tom, if you have got a SW ED80 for sale? :D:lol:  :lol:

Edited by Ron Clarke

Some great info here.

Out of interest is it not worth Ron keeping the meg 72 for imaging wider fields?

Did see your other post actually but didn't know how far you'd got. I'm sure you'll both be very happy! :)

Would have been great to know how they shaped up against each other optically though... quite different focal lengths of course.

I also intend to buy the ED80 pro package but am umming and ahrrring (Bit pirate like) as to weather or not it should be my "1st" scope.

I'll do a first light report on it at the Badger Farm meet next Saturday Steve (weather permitting!) but ED80 has a FL of 600mm and the Meg72 only 430mm quite a difference!  :)