• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Night Vision camcorder

Teslar

Can anyone recommend a good Night Vision recorder I'm looking for something portable for a project I'm working on. I had a look on eBay but my search just comes up with ghost hunting kits ;) not really what I'm looking for. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience of this kind of kit they would be willing to share?

Thanks Peter, Perhaps I should have explained better. It's not for Astro use. It's for wildlife video recording :D

Edited by Teslar

I have seen the odd ghost, orb or artefact through my Mintron, but that is probably because I don't really know what I'm doing with it :D .

What's the project Tom?

Is this for sky imaging? Or are you tracking badgers pinching cat food by the back door? Or is it a security thing for the house? :)

You guessed it's to try and capture video of whatever has terrorised our cat. It stares at the cat flap each night but refused to venture out

For wildlife video recording at night the Mintron would probably be ideal.

I'll take a look but I was thinking of something more that would have dual use as a digital camcorder so I'd get more use out of it :)

I've never seen it so scared it seems petrified. The first time it happened. It eventually worked up courage to go out again but a few nights later it happened again accompanied by a deep scratch on the cats nose. We've never heard noises which suggested he got into a fight whatever it was kept silent and unseen. Hence the need for night vision camcorder

Edited by Teslar

Although the Mintrons settings can be adjusted for daytime or ultra sensitive night time use or anything in between, it won't give top quality results as it seems a bit prone to hot pixels, suffers a bit of amp glow on one side and has a low resolution, only about 768 x 588 pixels.

However it could be the cheapest way to find out what is scaring your cat and is very portable.

Thanks Peter. I've also seen this on ebay http://bit.ly/1dziiv3

Full HD Digital Video Comcorder

Night Vision Technology

Movie Edit Software

High-Speed Movie Capabilities

Digital Image Stabilizer

Which might be more versatile but I'll check out the mintron too :)

Edited by Teslar

You can get movement triggers for these cameras.

One of our members had one set up on his cats food bowls by the back door cos they live on the edge of woods - but he gave up astronomy so doubt he'll see this thread unfortunately.

Cheers Martyn that does look the business. Unfortunately I've already bought the one in my link above. I'll keep that one in mind though as it could come in useful ;)

It's got to be a fierce beastie to put the heebeejeebee's up your moggy. We had a feral cat that kept pasting our's, friendly as anything to humans, but hell on legs for other cats.

My mate reckons foxes kill cats, not round here they don't, I have seen our cat sit three feet from the local dog fox, they just ignored each other.

Yep I'm thinking it's a feral cat. There a farm up the road and they have the run if the place. So could be one from there who's taking over out space. Oskar seem to have lost all interest in going out in the night and just sleeps through. Not like him!!