• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader Neutral Density Moon filters.

Daz Type-R

Hi,

Looking at getting one of these from FLO, and they come in 4 different strengths, does anybody know how much light each version lets through?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/baader-neutral-density-moon-filters.html

The strengths are......

0.6 (weakest)
0.9 (standard)
3.0 (strongest)

Now FLO do say for 4-10" scope's to use the 0.9 standard model but I have been caught out by FLO's recommendations before, will a 0.9 be sufficient or if I do get the 1.8, will it be too dark in my scope?

Cheers guys and gals.

:)

i`ve got a standard one if you want to try it out Daz, it cuts out alot of glare but on a full moon for me i find i might want alittle more, but i don`t very often look at the full moon as you can`t see to many details.

one thing about FLO is if you don`t like it they will replace it for another.

should say i use it on my 8" sct also so plenty of light grasp on that

Edited by red dwalf

Daz, I've got the 0.9 one, you are welcome to give it a go as I'm not planning on using it any time soon.

JD

Dont have an ND anymore I have 2 sets of Wratten coloured planetary filters and use these, much more versatile. Blue (W80) is excellent for lunar detail, green for contrast. I load a set in a manual filterwheel for whatever object I am observing.Takes the faff out of changing filters.

I have a 1.25 and 2 inch set plus wheels and wouldnt be without. Also you can stack them to get some very interesting results

Thanks for all your input guys and thanks for the offers of loaning said filter.

James, if you don't mind I wouldn't mind borrowing it for a week or too, I've asked you as you live round the corner from Leigh and I work with Leigh's wife Miranda so would make receiving and sending back of said filter easier (assuming you and Leigh do not mind of course).

Phil, looked at the Watten filters before, especially the 80a for Jupiter, will have a think about them while I try out the Baader.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Daz, i've told you a porky pie!

Mine is a meade 4000 nd 0.9 something filter... Cheap and cheerful. Leigh is going to get it tomorrow so pester mrs leigh from friday onwards for it.

Sorry!

Daz, i've told you a porky pie!

Mine is a meade 4000 nd 0.9 something filter... Cheap and cheerful. Leigh is going to get it tomorrow so pester mrs leigh from friday onwards for it.

Sorry!

No worries, I'm sure the strength should not differ that much across the brands.

Much appreciated.

:)

One thing I am experimenting with on lunar at the mo is variable polarising filters. These work very well on bright planets and are excellent for bright double stars but up until the other month I had never tried them on lunar. Mines proving to be quite useful, especially as you can adjust it to suit

One thing I am experimenting with on lunar at the mo is variable polarising filters. These work very well on bright planets and are excellent for bright double stars but up until the other month I had never tried them on lunar. Mines proving to be quite useful, especially as you can adjust it to suit

So would you recommend this then?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/variable-polarizing-moon-filter.html

At the moment for planets and doubles yes, lunar Im still playing but its looking promising. However that design you have to take the ep out every time you want to adjust, same as mine at the mo, but Im working on a solution :-)

I had one of these and found it very useful...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BST-2-Variable-Polarising-Polarizing-Moon-Filter-/380572929503?pt=UK_Telescope_Eyepieces&hash=item589bea0ddf

It is a bit cheaper and free delivery.

Much more versatile than Neutral Density fixed attenuation ones, since the moon is always changing its brightness with the phase.