• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Last minute check

Guest Libby's

Guest Libby's

There's a good chance that I am (finally) going to get my telescope tomorrow (assuming there are some in stock which I'll check).

I'm 99.5% sure the right choice for me is the SW 200p Dob with the understanding with Mr that I'll want something a little easier to grab and go at some point in the nearish future if we ever manage to consider going away places.

However, I've waited so many years for this telescope and spent the last 3 years trying to decide what to get I'm suddenly really nervous (feel like I'm about to go on a first date with someone with a gorgeous bum and really kissable lips!) and wanted to get any last minute advice or recommendations before I go ahead.

I know everyone has personal preferences when it comes to 'scopes but does anyone think this is a disastrous choice?

Given I have a temperamental back I know I'll probably want to get a right angle finder at some point and add a couple of EPs but I was thinking I'd leave that until I get to know the telescope a bit. Do I need to get a collimator immediately (terrified at the thought!)?

I'm being totally ridiculous to be so nervous!

Sounds a good choice to me! Advice from a back sufferer, I got a small square table fron Ikea that I stand the Dob base on, as I usually view between 30 and 70 degrees it means I can use the eyepiece without having to bend too much! I use it all the time with my Dob (which is being sold tomorrow!) just a thought!

Cheers

Ron

I don't think for a minute that your making the wrong choice of scope, there's a reason the 200p dob is the best selling telescope .

alot of people have them in one disguise or another,

As for collimation, you could ask the guys at the shop to check it over for you if they are not too busy or I'm sure someone form the forum will check it out for you.

It's a perfect choice Libby, as for the collimator I would get one as soon as you can afford it, but it should come factory collimated and as long as you don't bump it too much it should be OK.

if it is out, I'm sure there is a member near you who will collimate it for you.

But once again you have made a good choice, and stop being nervous  ;)

Guest Libby's

Thanks so much! Feeling a bit better already. A little excitement is sneaking back in though still mostly nerves. Bit silly really given the current weather I won't be using for 6 months!

It's an excellent choice for a first scope Libby.

If you can afford a collimator then by all means go for it at the same time. But if not, then one of us will check it for you at an observing meeting, or if you take it round to a member who lives nearby.

I would get the right angled finder as soon as possible - they do come up second hand from time to time at considerable saving - but they do sell quick so you have to keep an eye out.

One day you'll get a bigger scope and wonder what all the fuss was about a little old 200P dob. lol :)

Brilliant choice of a first scope, easy and cheap to mod, versatile and transportable and you get good views of DSO's and planets.

Get rid of the stock eps as soon as you can, the 25mm is ok but the 10mm is dreadfull.

I've had mine for a few years and won't change it for a few more!

If you need a hand with mods, collimation etc, give me a shout.

Regards,

Daz.

Guest Libby's

Thanks so much. I'm sure I'll be asking many questions!

I've heard the EPs the 'scope come with aren't brilliant. Out of interest what would you recommend I get when I get round to it?

Hopefully I'll manage to get to some observing sessions with it even if I'm struggling to make local meetings.

How much are you willing to spend?

BST explorers are good mid level eps, they are around the £45 mark each, then there are the Celestron X-cels (I think) also good entry level eps, after that the price starts going up.

The 200P will keep you happy for a good while, and after a few mods, it will be an awesome scope. Yes you can go bigger, but then you have to consider storage and your power lifting technique.

As Daz said, don't worry about collimation, after a few goes it will all seem routine, you will always get help if you need it, just shout up.

It's a great feeling when the courier turns up at the gate, you'll know as you will be sitting waiting at the window like the rest of us were! :lol:

A friend of mine uses a 200p Dob and she loves it, she is quite small but has no trouble setting the scope up/taking it down by herself.

She swears by her Baader click-zoom eyepiece and Oiii filter.

I doubt I will ever sell my 200p its a great scope.

Congratulations.

I'm not a 200P owner (and have never been) but I have never heard a bad word said about the 200P. It will serve you well. :)

If you can get to a meet with your scope you could look through some eyepieces whilst there. It's far better to see which ones you like, rather than simply buying what looks to be a good deal. :)

Enjoy.

Guest Libby's

It certainly is! I can't really believe I've done it after waiting so long!

The man in the shop recommended, as Craig did, to go to meets and try EPs to see what I like before buying which I'll definitely be trying to do.

Got everything crossed for some clear skies this week. Forecast isn't looking overly optimistic!

Guest Trickydicky

Hi Libby, I have had this scope for only a couple of weeks myself. I too did some tooing and frowing about choices. Im over the moon with scope. Its not too big that you cannot take it away from home and it really opens the skies up. I ventured out into the peak district and it was a breeze! You will not regret it!

The eyepieces are Ok to get you up and running but yes, they will need an upgrade at some point. I did however buy a 2 x barlow as they do not come with it as standard. 

Re collimating, have taken advise on this forum and spending time on 'you tube' it really isnt that difficult.

If I can help drop me a line

Guest Libby's

Thanks Richard.

I was thinking I'd get myself a 2x Barlow, a moon filter and a Cheshire collimator to start me off and then spend some time with the telescope and see how I get on and where I want to make improvements (no doubt a couple of EPs and possibly a right angle finder if I find the one provided tricky).

I'm so grateful to everyone here for all the support and encouragement. :)