• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Purchase suggestions....?

Perkil8r

After a few pointers from you good people really. Tis my birthday coming up soon and the missus has just asked if I would like something for the scope B) Result! Only issue is I don't know what to ask for. I have: SW "Super" EP's in 10 and 25mm, unknown EP's in 9, 20 + 25mm, SW 2 x Barlow and BST Explorer 8mm on the way as we speak. I also have the T ring mount thingy for the Canon and a cheshire. What would you good people advise for a worthy purchase next? I was thinking maybe a moon filter, possibly LP filter? Budget is a not to be sniffed at £100, but we need to leave some left for chocolate and or socks lol

Guest Tweedledum

Mike,

Use what you have first, then find your own gaps, come to the obs sessions then make your decision. If I was you, save £100, unless you have SWMBO, then spend it on her cos you are going to spend much more on this hobby later on :D .

Cheers

Guest Kheldar

Mike,

Use what you have first, then find your own gaps, come to the obs sessions then make your decision. If I was you, save £100, unless you have SWMBO, then spend it on her cos you are going to spend much more on this hobby later on :D .

Cheers

I concur, it sounds like you have a fair few EPs there to get cracking with. Give them all a good few nights out and see which ones are your preferred focal length (for example I rarely use magnification above 160x) and then look for better EPs to replace the ones you use most :)

Mike,

Cheers

I hear what you're saying, but this is SWMBO saying she will buy ME stuff for my impending B'day ;) I was thinking maybe get her to buy a couple of filters?

Edited by Perkil8r

Coat, gloves, flask, boots, chair, red lights, charts, star atlas, dew control. All useful additions if you don't already have them! :D

A right angle correct image finder scope if you haven't got one already? Saves ya neck in the long run :)

How about a light and protable, adjustable stool or ironing chair - makes observing so much more comfortable and you can get them for around £20 off Amazon/Ebay :)

A right angle correct image finder scope if you haven't got one already? Saves ya neck in the long run :)

I like the idea of this, I've sent her a link to a suitable such item ;)

I like the idea of this, I've sent her a link to a suitable such item

I have ordered the Orion Right Angle Correct Image 9x50 finder. It was despatched today along with my hyperion 8-24mm Clickstop MK III zoom eyepiece-I cannot wait for them to arrive!!

I've directed her towards the Skywatcher Right Angle Correct Image 9x50, it's a couple or so pounds cheaper than the orion. Is there much difference in optics, quality and user friendlyness?

They seem very similar in all respects except for the paint job. I didn't look through the SW one yet so I don't know if the glass is different - but I suspect not :)

I've directed her towards the Skywatcher Right Angle Correct Image 9x50, it's a couple or so pounds cheaper than the orion. Is there much difference in optics, quality and user friendlyness?

I also have not physically looked through the right angle version of the SW finder but have looked through the straight through version of the SW finder and the Orion and personally I felt the Orion was sharper. That is just my personal opinion though.

Another option for an additional gift would be a telrad finder for star hopping. They retail at about £40 :) like Mick said we do like to spend other peoples money ;)

I was originally going to go for a Telrad, my star hopping isn't that good TBH, but I have been getting a bit better the last couple of times. Having said that, I was trying for Andromeda but managed to miss it by a few thousand light years and find M76 instead :wacko: my most embarassing and proud moments in astronomy so far all in one go lol.

Dew pervention as you do not want your observing session cut short just ask Craig :lol:

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I also have not physically looked through the right angle version of the SW finder but have looked through the straight through version of the SW finder and the Orion and personally I felt the Orion was sharper. That is just my personal opinion though.

Another option for an additional gift would be a telrad finder for star hopping. They retail at about £40 :) like Mick said we do like to spend other peoples money ;)

Thought you looked through mine at the last CC meet?

Was yours not the Orion RACI then Darren?

My Hyperion zoom and Orion RACI finder arrived today!! Sky is supposed to be clear tomorrow!

Was yours not the Orion RACI then Darren?

Nope, SW 9x50 right angled correcting.

Nice on the zoom, you won't be dissapointed, loving mine!

How long did you have to wait in the end?

Nope, SW 9x50 right angled correcting.

Nice on the zoom, you won't be dissapointed, loving mine!

How long did you have to wait in the end?

Oh right, in that case I think the optic are very similar!

I ordered my zoom I. 27th January and it arrived yesterday so 13days. Still not bad considering they weren't in stock :o). See what you mean about the 2 inch adapter feeling more solid. I was messing about with it yesterday and have fitted the 2 inch adapter feels much more secure.

Nice. I`m just gutted that I have all ready bought the 1.25" Baader UHC-S filter, everytime I want to use it, I have to remove the 2" adapter on the zoom!

Ohh well, live and learn - it's all part of the fun. :rolleyes:

Think I'm going to plump for the Telrad. I've given it a lot of thought and the Telrad will help with my poor star-hoping skills or lack there-of. I already have the SW 9x50 finder that comes with it, so getting the right angle, whilst being easier to use, wouldn't give me that much in the way of an improvement in comparison. I will get the right angle finder at a later date I think. Meanwhile I need to buy myself the ADM Dual Saddle Upgrade since my puck decided to fall apart.