• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What wood is best?

catman161

Hey guys, Non-astro question.

If I want to build a workbench along one side of my garage what is the best wood and how thick should it be or the work top surface? I will be usin it for general DIY, hammering/drilling/soldering/putting stuff in a vice etc.

Design wise I'd like it to have cupboards but then an alcove in the centre so I can pull the stool/chair in that I will use so that my legs can go under it.

Thanks

I used reclaimed floor joists for mine, but as I was needing to have a lot of strength in it, it was built over sized. Leave room for a decent vice at one end, so you can get the longest piece of work in it you need it to take. Carefully consider the height you need it at as well, as too low, or too high will cause aches and pains you don't need.

Old work tops make good tops, these can be got cheap as damaged items. If you do it any lasting harm, it's easy to replace.

Felix, ask Rob (red dwarf) about wood as he has some heavy duty stuff which was the previous floor in his obsy, though not sure if he has plans for it.

JD

I use a sturdy old table in the garage - my diy days are considerably reduced now lol. Anything heavier and I just get the B&D workbench out which has two heights and a vice for sawing/drilling and cutting wood. They have a well spread footprint too, so dead steady. :)

I used dry wall studding to make the base and ply for the top, but it's not a heavy duty top by any stretch. Old kitchen worktops are ideal though.

Thanks for the advice guys. There's a reclaim shop on site at my local tip so may have a nosey around that tomorrow and see what's there. I often see old furniture and cupboards and the like. I have a black and decker folding workbench which I often use when sawing longer pieces of wood but I want to convert my garage into a sort of "man cave" where I can do bits and bobs really. Mainly somewhere to go to get away from everything and be "manly" and build/fix stuff! Ha ha!

Hi Felix,

I did have some long lengths of c16 grade timber which is 2 inch thick but most of it was used in the construction of the obsy and ive only got one length left. But kitchen worktops are ideal and cheap

No probs rob, thanks though :)

Felix - Don't forget to seal the wood if you use Kitchen worktops and any damp lifts the laminate  - PVA glue or vanish - I say this now - I didn't and it started to lift -  :facepalm2:

Thanks for the pointer to the Dobs how to image PDF - read it and got some useful tips plus CASTRATOR  (LOL)  s/w 

Cool will do thanks Clive. Yeah I had a red of the PDF too, pretty good help for any that are getting frustrated trying. The authors Jupiter images are very respectable indeed.

Guest AstroOlly

Hey guys, Non-astro question. If I want to build a workbench along one side of my garage what is the best wood and how thick should it be or the work top surface? I will be usin it for general DIY, hammering/drilling/soldering/putting stuff in a vice etc. Design wise I'd like it to have cupboards but then an alcove in the centre so I can pull the stool/chair in that I will use so that my legs can go under it. Thanks

Edited by AstroOlly