• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

thunder storm

Ibbo

unusual for Jan I thought

some good lightning flashs

its upset the garden birdwatch

Edited by Ibbo

Yes, I can see it from West Bridgford looking north west out of my office (it's really a spare bedroom) window.

JD

Guest fondofchips

We've had a thunderstorm here in Swadlincote, just finished, not unusual for the current unsettled weather conditions, really the same conditions that create April showers, just earlier in the year.

I have 300 photos out of the spare bedroom window just, none caught any lightening.

Good luck Ron.

JD

We've just had it heavy and hard (oo er missus) along with hail. Very loud thunder, shook a seashell lampshade. Try saying that quickly 10 times!

I used to love watching the hurricaines over Calcutta from the multi storey car park at work - the lightening used to streak in a lattice shape across 180 degrees of horizon and up as far as 60-70 degrees high. They were huge storms like I've never seen - usually in the afternoon - by clocking off time the streets were waist high in water, which was gone two hours later and everything dry as a bone again. :)

Was certainly a cracker here in Derby! Not fast enough with the camera though :)

Yes, usually expect that sort of thing with the "April Showers" but we actually had similar one night a few weeks back!

Looks like it may turn very cold in the next week or so.

Did you catch it Ron it was very very close at my end of Cranwell  plus nice sized hail?

Still here's the sun / clear sky for later

No, missed it Clive! Busy sorting out camera as it's set up for astro!! More to come before a clear sky I think!!

Yeh seen it before thanks - tend to look out of the window when it comes to weather predicting. Obviously the real  time aspect is good though, its a nice site. There are quite a number of local Am weather stn's. Nearly as many AStro's

Edited by stash

Got caught in it on the a515 north of ashbourne earlier. Lightening and hail really viscous at times. Had to divert through Tissington due to a tree across the a515