• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Is it going to clear? Anyone tempted by Belper tonight?

Johnnyaardvark

Is it going to clear? Anyone tempted by Belper Tonight?

I may be interested in popping up to say hi to a few people. Especially if there were any visual observers going but also if any astrophotographers were heading that way.

Thoughts?

I have never been before? Would it be a quagmire?

Steve

My app (BBC weather), says cloudy at Belper until 21:00, but windy until midnight.

I'm staying at home.

Have fun if you do get to go.

James

It will be very muddy indeed I would imagine. The wind is the main factor that is putting me off travelling out to a dark site tonight. My 200P on an EQ mount will be like a sail! I will (if at all) probably set up in the shelter of the garden tonight and see if I can get some Jupiter shots.

Guest CodnorPaul

I have been watching all day hoping it would change but judging at a few forecasts, and the lack of anyone going it doesn't look promising. Bins in back garden probably for me.

I could really do with a good clear long night out

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. Was just listening to the wind on the way down stairs and thinking that would put imagers off!

As for an evening out and meeting a few people with scopes in use... I REALLY look forward to it.

Assuming no ones out I may try a wider field shot or two from my garden and see if I can spot any dots that aren't on my previous pictures of that part of the sky!

Steve

I've just put the scope on the mount outside to cool down. I want to see if I can spot this blinking M82; I doubt it with my light pollution!

JD

Oh my life! So even if it's clear, it's depends where the jet stream is too. I'm currently making my way through "Turn Left At Orion" and wondering whether if I should take it to the table with a note book and start studying, now there's all these jet stream atmosphericals too. I need to quit my job and go astro school.

Dont panic Tracy, you will still be able to view with the jetstream over ud, its just that you wont get nice steady views of planets and moon but deep sky stuff will be ok for you

Tracy, don't go to astro-school, some of us are signed up to that and it's a nightmare!

The jet stream only really is important (and I'm not sure how important) when doing imaging of things in our solar system. My understanding is the jet stream generally carries warmer air high up, and when we look at big things like Jupiter, the warm air currents cause the image of Jupiter to shimmer; this makes imaging it harder.

The book is good, but you want to get out there too. Looking for Orion is a great place to start in winter, as you can easily find loads of other stuff from that; Taurus the bull and various stars there, Sirius the brightest star in Canis major, Procyon in canis minor, the Orion nebula, Gemini the twins (with Jupiter near by at present), the bright star Capella (usually over head in the winter) in Auriga.... So i think in one night you could easily get a good grasp of 6 winter constellations and the names of some bright stars.

James

Cheers James, I was only kidding about astro school - does it really exist?

I have been out a lot, set up the scope and viewing with bins and have been viewing Orion and making my way round from there. I'm fairly confident with that area of the sky and certainly know a lot more that this time last year when I did a beginners course on astronomy at my local observatory.

I also enjoy photography and am taking a few pics with the DSLR (not attached to scope though).

Absolutely blowing a Gail here in Leamington so staying in with my good friend San Miguel :D

Absolutely blowing a Gail here in Leamington so staying in with my good friend San Miguel :D

See micro weather - one end of Cranwell (Ron) not too windy the other end its blowing over my wheel barrow.  

Sounds like a plan - Been out in the garden with the scope and bins but blowing gale here also  :(

Time for a take away and a bottle of something.

Ade

Sounds like a plan - Been out in the garden with the scope and bins but blowing gale here also  :(

Time for a take away and a bottle of something.

Ade

Happy B Adrian - perhaps more than one bottle on your birthday - known to stop Stars twinkling  and cures Dobson rotation but does make the world rotate faster after a few - Hic !  Not from personal experience you understand.

Enjoy rest of your B

Yeh clear but i gave up sailing a long time ago !

Have you replaced the Dob already ?