• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Polar scope illuminator

BAZ

Nice one thanks Stephen :) I might dive in and give this a go! Sorry more questions! So if I am using a box instead of the LED being on a strip I am going to need it to be attached to a length of wire at the other end of the wire will be say a 3.5mm jack plug. (Here's the question) do I place the female jack socket in the position in the circuit where the LED was??

You don't have to use a jack. Put (drill, file, etc) a hole into the box and solder the cable onto the board.

Cool thanks lee :) in which case then do I just solder the two ends of wire where the led terminals would have been??

Yes, so your circuit should go

Positive connector > cable > LED > cable > fixed resistor > variable resistor > Negative (or ground). Don't forget some kind of switch.

Edited by xanthic

Thanks Leigh, I may be posting more queries in the near future or (if it goes well) a thread with the completed box :)

If you want to look at a project box with switch, potentiometer, and battery pack - then feel to drop by Felix - it's the one I wired up and soldered for the dob fan - complete with connectors. It might help you to see a completed one - but you're in good hands with Leigh. :)

It's always worth seeing another mod, it often leads to those "ah, so that's how you do it" moments of clarity :)

Right I've just got back from maplins. I'm stumped already by the fact tht I went for a potentiometer that's also a switch! How do I wire that up?! I've got he breadboard and resisters/project box but now need to work out how to wire up this pot! I think it will be fun once I know how! Lol!

I have now mangled a 12V LED driver so it fit's in the box and now runs off my battery supply, and is now infinitely variable.

Here's the MKII, and a "Dawson" angled polar scope viewer which really saves the old back.

P2010750_zps319caa27.jpg

P2010753_zps12b188f2.jpg

P2010754_zps63f8ac7d.jpg

"Dawson" angled viewer?? He stole that idea from me..........

...........which I stole from someone else :D :D

I tell you what, it's a breeze now that's fitted, no more nocturnal yoga for me! :)

If I remember correctly, it's a Dion special. What can't you find on Astronomy Shed eh!