• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Free Online Astronomy Course - 'Moons'

catman161

I've just signed up to this free online course 'Moons' by The Open University on FutureLearn and I thought you might also like it:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons

It states just 3 hours a week so thought it looked interesting and requires not as much time commitment as the previous course that some of you have enrolled on. I'll give it a go :)

If OU are like coursea than that 3 hours per week will be more like 30 :lol::P

Unfortunately it takes place over the 2 months leading up to my A Level exams so I think I'm going to give this one a miss :(

Looks nice enough though :)

It can't be as abstract as our course!

Do feed back on how it goes and how time consuming it is. If it's favourable i might sign up next time around if they run it again.

The theories that i'm aware of on the origins of our moon are fascinating.

Good luck.

Jd

That looks like a very interesting course. I would love to do that if I had more spare time.

I've done several OU short courses and can thoroughly recommend them.

The last one I did was "The Planets" which included some very interesting stuff about moons.

3 hours a week shouldn't be too bad I guess... And hopefully OU mean it when they say no previous knowledge required :lol:

Edited by Tibbz2

3 hours a week shouldn't be too bad I guess... And hopefully OU mean it when they say no previous knowledge required :lol:

well normally they mean it :wacko:  but i would perhaps allow more time :lol:

Thanks for posting Felix. Looks very nice but suspect in reality I would struggle to find the time :(

Edited by Johnnyaardvark

Hi,

Futurelearn (part of the OU) are running a free online course on 'Moons' - I've just signed up ... it's free so nothing to lose and I might even learn something!

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/moons

Starts = 17 March.

Duration = 8 Weeks.

Time = est 3hrs/week.

Requirements = An interest in learning about the moons of our Solar System and the methods used to understand them. Prior knowledge of astronomy is not expected.

They also run a number of other free courses, some quite interesting but mostly non-astronomy, although there is one on the discovery of the Higgs Boson.

I was almost tempted to try the 'Kitchen Chemistry' course, but SWMBO looked a little worried at the thought of me meddling with chemistry in the kitchen!

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses

Al

Edited by Perkil8r
Merged with original thread.