• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Focal reducer/flattener for SW ED80 pro

RonC

Looking at the SW ED80 reducer/flattener, at a £160 it's a bit expensive. Altair Astro do a .8 Red/Flattener 2" fit for refractors for £75 which seems a lot more reasonable? Any thoughts on these products??

Edited by Ron Clarke

Your honest opinion counts Stephen and fully agreed with, wanted to clarify the situation. Thanks  :)

That's the problem Ron, they are usually matched for certain scopes,

They got you by the short and curls as i think the sw ones are very expensive compaired to other brands

Guest Kheldar

SW twice the price of Altair Astro reducer !!

Here's my 2p (once again) :D

Yes it's twice the price - but you're talking about them as though they are the same item rebranded?

The SW one has been developed alongside the ED80 to match it's field curvature hence producing a perfectly flat field when used with it

The Altair is a generic (that's not detrimental nor offensive) flattener designed to work with a range of scopes ... ergo it will never deliver a perfect flat field for every scope as every curvature will differ ... ESPECIALLY when reduced from native focal length - things get crazy then :)

A generic Televue one to match that scope will cost you over £250 I think :ladyshock:

Edited by Kheldar

OK Stephen, I'll save a bit more and get the SW one (promise!) case now closed  :)

Guest Kheldar

OK Stephen, I'll save a bit more and get the SW one (promise!) case now closed  :)

Don't take my word for anything, always a bad idea :P Talk to Perkil8r .... if memory serves he had a similar quandry and tried some generic ones ... first :)

Had a word with Mike, I'll get used to using the scope for a while then get a SW reducer if I need one.. :)

Hey Ron a quick heads up looking at this option myself next scope etc. was looking at 2Green Witch" and them seem to have the Evostar 100ED DS-PRO 100mm f/9 Fluorite APO Telescope at £729 but the Evostar 100ED DS-PRO 100mm f/9 Fluorite APO Telescope with 0.85 Field Flattener for £649

Go figure if this is not a mistake I may look at going up to the 100 instead of the 80ED looks like the SW field flattener reducer in the photo but of course would need to check they  would save approx. £249

sorry if not what your looking for could it be also the fact that both the 80 and 120 are f7 and the ED100 is f9?

Edited by Allan the Plumber

Guest Kheldar

sorry if not what your looking for could it be also the fact that both the 80 and 120 are f7 and the ED100 is f9?

Spot on ...

You could always look at the Wo mk 4 flattener reducer, this is adjustable, I have one and use it on 2 different scopes with 2 different cameras. Just got to do the maths for your scope and camera set up, set it. Works ok. The only snag is my memory, i keep forgetting to set it to the right distance when I change scopes, doh