• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Possible Supernova in M99

Guest Kheldar

Eee by gum, these supernova are just like busses!

Don't get any then 2 come along at once.

:)

Wow, it's getting busy up there, shame about the weather. Iam hoping this cold front from the east might give us a bit of clear sky.

Just need one in our side of the Milky Way now! :lol:

Whats the relative time difference of the two Nova's - That is how far back are we looking in time and have they happened at the same time in time - If you know what I mean  :facepalm:

Messier 99 is approximately 50 million light-years what was the other ?

Edited by stash

Yes, approx 11.4 - 11.5 million years, around the time of the evolutionary stage known as the Great Apes. Mankind wasn't even on the radar! 50 million years was I think if memory serves around the time birds were evolving.

Mankind wasn't even on the radar! 50 million years was I think if memory serves around the time birds were evolving.

So women evolved that much before us men! No wonder I have such trouble communicating with them.... :)

Depends if you are a creationist or Darwinist(!). According to the former Men and Dino's walked the planet at the same time. Std teaching in some USA schools I believe.

Oh well they are entitled to their opinion and views - even if they are wildly so wrong - Sorrow any creationists reading this!

Edited by stash