• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rain!

Guest Libby's

Ode to Jupiter and the Night Sky....

On a cloudy night when friends were few,
i closed my eyes and thought of you,
a silent hope,
a silent tear,
a silent wish that you were here.

I must be getting bored - Apologies

Ade

Guest peepshow

The reason for all the clouds and rain is that you guys spend so much money on astro

that you all break out in cold sweats, in case the wife sees your bank balance.

This sweat, all over the country, then evaporates and so increases the water content of the sky.

Hence more cloud and more rain.

So spend less, guys, and let's have a few sunny days. ;)

I went for the SW Explorer 150 PDS on an EQ5 Pro GOTO after lots of decisions, and deciding what was within budget as its so easy to overspend :D I love it and find it manageable and even convinced hubby it deserves to be kept in the kitchen, can't wait to try it out but looks like I will have to wait awhile, booo :(

Edited by VikN46

Guest fondofchips

Ha ha! There's been a few new purchases recently Libby so I think we are all a little I blame :)

I hope your are not hinting at me Felix, it would be nice to have somewhere dry to put my kit (i.e. obsy).

Scope etc. is in the not so dry garage at the moment with a heater on at night to stop it all getting damp.

Ground conditions are awful here aggravated by an overflowing pond near the obsy base, (current possible delivery Tues/Wed next week).

Need dry weather and a hard frost now for putting the shed up.

Clear skies to all & whoever is up there turn off the tap & shift that cloud!

I hope your are not hinting at me Felix, it would be nice to have somewhere dry to put my kit (i.e. obsy).

Scope etc. is in the not so dry garage at the moment with a heater on at night to stop it all getting damp.

Ground conditions are awful here aggravated by an overflowing pond near the obsy base, (current possible delivery Tues/Wed next week).

Need dry weather and a hard frost now for putting the shed up.

Clear skies to all & whoever is up there turn off the tap & shift that cloud!

I wasn't Harry it was more directed at myself having bought the William Optics Megrez 72 from Ron! :)

Guest Libby's

I think I should rename this thread "the confessional"!

Feeling way less guilty now and if any pitchforks head my way I know where to send at least some of them on to!

My new ED80 pro  :facepalm:

I had a 150PDS on an EQ5, good set up both for visual and with a DSLR attached! WHEN we get some clear skies this forum will be full

of 'first light' reports!! :D

Guest Trickydicky

Just like yours - only not as many mods (yet)!

Just out of interest. What EQ mount would you need to convert a 8inch skyliner from a dob mount???... Just compiling this years birthday/christmas list ;)

Guest Kheldar

Just out of interest. What EQ mount would you need to convert a 8inch skyliner from a dob mount???... Just compiling this years birthday/christmas list ;)

HEQ5 should be sound for visual only ...

NEQ6 for imaging ...

Yup - NEQ6 Pro will handle it nicely - speak to Felix cos he's done that conversion. :)

I'd agree HEQ5 for observing only - it should just about manage the larger f-6 200P - but usually it's the f5 version that's found on EQ mounts. :)

Yep NEQ6 handles it no problems. Jut get yourself a pair of 235mm tube rings and an 11" losmandy dovetail and you're away and nice and stable. Also you will need a little step to get to the eyepiece. Also worth getting a third 235mm tube ring so that you can tighten that one and loosen the other two so that you can rotate the OTA so that you don't have to practice yoga I get to the eyepiece when it slews to a target that outs the eyepiece pointing towards the ground!