• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sun Gazing history

Teslar

My Brother inlaw has a family connection that might surprise a few. An ancestor of his met Francis Bailley if beads fame. Bailley actually discovered the beads with his help while visiting him in Jedburgh. He showed me a booklet which Bailey presented to his ancestor and allowed me to take some photos :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd always known his family had a history connected with astronomy but I hadn't realised how well connected :)

Oh that's a fabulous discovery Tom - bet you're pretty chuffed eh! :)

(My only famous relative is Chung Ling Soo - magician and inventor of the "Catching a bullet between the teeth" trick - might explain my interest in magic tricks - his real name was William Robinson)

Very interesting Tom.

Nice to see such old documents and how they used to do it.  :)

Oh that's a fabulous discovery Tom - bet you're pretty chuffed eh! :)

(My only famous relative is Chung Ling Soo - magician and inventor of the "Catching a bullet between the teeth" trick - might explain my interest in magic tricks - his real name was William Robinson)

You mentioned Chung Ling Soo before Kim, but I thought you were just having a laugh, sorry.

Just googled him and had an interesting read. I didn't realise that the chinese magician in that superb film "The Prestige", was based on a real person. :)

Maybe there are other well connected members on EMS.

"You mentioned Chung Ling Soo before Kim, but I thought you were just having a laugh, sorry."

Well it's kinda tongue in cheek cos though my relatives pointed it out to me, and despite Di thinking his face profile resembles mine very accurately, I've done loads of research and there's a big missing gap linking him directly to my family. A period when his father left England and went to America where William was born before coming back to the UK with his show. If I could prove his dad was linked to my ancestors that would be a big find. :)

(Oh yes I spotted him in The Prestige as well - fabulous film)

Cheers Kim. I know you like doing a bit of magic, but suggest you avoid practising Chungs most famous trick :lol: .

I'm sorry to say that I'm the most famous person in my family, which is a bit like driving from London to Leicester and saying you are nearer the north pole.

One of my claims to fame is being born the same day (and year) as Bruce Willis (of Armageddon fame): March 19th 1955.