• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Street lighting - Neighbourhood watch survey

dawson

I too have read that a lot of trials have resulted in a reduction of burglaries and also that most happen in daylight

anyway.

That is also my experience twice in the middle of the afternoon and the PC who came round(yes actually attended) said it was the most common time as folks were working or picking the kids up from school.

I doubt many would notice the turn off between 12-30 and 5-30 if it was not for the likes of my local councillor who sent out an A4 sheet with his opinion that crime would be rife if they were switched off around here with absolutely no evidence whatsoever, his comment was everybody knows crime and anti social behaviour will increase if we turn off the lights.

Further to me asking the times of his witnessing of anti social behaviour was when the lights were still on at around 8 to 10 in the evening outside the local Co Op and Community centre where they have lights.

I challenged him to give me proof of increased crime where they have been turned off and have no further replies to my e mails.

as I said it is feeling and perception with no hard facts.

I do agree that there will be a rash of insecurity lights until the bulb fails or they get the bill for the electric.

Off the soap box and will retire to the kennel.

If there is an increase in security lights due to turning the lights off, do you think there would be an equivalent increase in spud gun sales?