• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Why do Scope Caps have smaller ones in them?

Toymaster

I'm not sure about how it effects imaging (not being an imager and never tried it). A longer f-ratio suggests sharper focus - but then it's hard to see how that would be any better than the native focus of the scope at full aperture - cos it doesn't change the actual focal length of the scope.

In practise I've no idea of the results for imaging - it's more of a visual gimmick for when the object is so bright it blinds the eye (not often in astronomy).

Doc did an interesting study with a home made aperture wheel with three different diameter holes and a 16" LB dob - I'm sure he'll have more to say about the visual effects if he posts here - or you could pm him. :)

In practise I've no idea of the results for imaging - it's more of a visual gimmick for when the object is so bright it blinds the eye (not often in astronomy).

Kim, that depends on your eyes, I find orion neb blinding lol :-/

Interesting replies!

When we get a clear weekend I'll definitely have a play around with the cap! I'm nowhere near anything related to imaging yet, still interesting to hear what effects this might have.

:)