• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Fence repairs

dawson

One of my garden fences took a battering over the weekend, and is a bit wobbely. I need to get it looked at / stabalised / repaired / replaced.

Can anyone recommend someone who covers Nottingham (west bridgford) who does this sort of stuff and won't rip me off?

Thanks

James

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tweedledum

Good Luck JD, have lost a couple of panels too but nothing on your scale. But you should see the devastation in Sherwood Pines from the tornado there. Just glad it did not come through any populated areas.

I lost a couple of panels yesterday and the side gate plus panel has come crashing down too. The posts were rotten in the ground. So I'm off to B&Q today sometime to get a couple of posts to fix it myself. Should be pretty easy and shouldn't be more than 10 or 20 squids and a spot of nail banging. :)

Yes, my posts have rotted at ground level, though the stumps are still concreted into the ground. The neighbour wants to have concrete posts between panels, which sounds sensible, but he can pay for them, then i'll just stick to wooden ones my side for the time being.

Jd

I looked out from the bedroom window this morning and next door but one have concrete posts with panels that slide in between grooves from the top. Most solid and rigid type of fence post available. I couldn't believe the wind had blown two panels out of it. At least the posts are still standing.

I had a fellow put in 4 new panels for me about 2 years ago after storms in Jan. He did a good job. I have his contact details if anyone wanted to get quotes/evaluation etc.

does anybody remember the good old privet hedge ;)

that did not tend to blow over in the merest of breezes :P

only thing was it needed a trim a few times a year

also it was harder to climb over

I really should not say too much as ours is a brick wall :D

Edited by Ibbo

I've fitted a few fences now and would say on reflection Concrete slotted posts are the way to go. They don't actually cost much if any more but are far more durable.

A privet hedge, that was a gold mine for Elephant Hawk moth caterpillars, they were real monsters when you was a kid.

I love the smell of the flowers as well.

A privet hedge, that was a gold mine for Elephant Hawk moth caterpillars, they were real monsters when you was a kid.

but it was a swine with a foot a half of snow on it

The kids in our street , including me, thought they were snakes - didn't taste very nice either (not me) - we were only 4/5yr olds  :)