• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Summer time narrow band?

Guest peepshow

Guest peepshow

Imaging in the summer time is very restricted as the sun doesn't sink very far below the horizon during the night.

But I would think that this also restricts narrow band imaging too. 

Is that true? 

Thanks.

Guest Kheldar

It depends how "pure" you want to be :)

Bottom line - you can image visible and nb through the summer, you're just working to a smaller window and a bluer sky :)

Edited by Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

It gets dark enough to image at the hight of summer here in Kent for 2 and a half hours a night. THe further north you go the less time you'll get.

Is that based on nautical twilight or value judgment on the darkness?

I can't remember what nautical gets down to in the midlands but I know astro twilight is missing in action for about two whole months :(

Sorry it does not answer your question as most of the post is not here but in an e mail to somebody else - opps

If you look at my images site you will see a gap in dates around the middle of the year, except for solar

I do image through that period but sometimes it will only be a few subs or even one (longer) sub that will be combined at a later date.

This last year there was also a gap when I put the concrete pier in

The above image is in Ha only 12nm and that is what most of my summer stuff is, I am not sure if the new 7nm will help me to image longer.

at the period of longest daylight hours I will do my DSO imaging between 00-30 and 3.00 but I will push on till its almost light and discard the nosiy ones

that image has 2 600 secs subs from the 30-June at 1am ish

another 3 from the 6th and 4 from the 7th July

there where some more taken but due to trailing were not used and the final one at 4-30 was ok for guiding but was noisy.

I hope that makes more sense and is more helpful

Off to correct e mail message now :blush:

Steve

Is that based on nautical twilight or value judgment on the darkness?

I can't remember what nautical gets down to in the midlands but I know astro twilight is missing in action for about two whole months :(

We don't loose nautical darkness here at 51.2N at all in the summer and Astro darkness only between May 25th and July 19th. But I base my 2.5 hours of imaging time on experience sitting watching subs off my camera until they become useable, and watching them out the other end become unuseable :)

Guest Kheldar

We don't loose nautical darkness here at 51.2N at all in the summer and Astro darkness only between May 25th and July 19th. But I base my 2.5 hours of imaging time on experience sitting watching subs off my camera until they become useable, and watching them out the other end become unuseable :)

You lucky, lucky so and so :lol:

One of the reasons I became interested in the Sun as an astronomical object is that I usually go to bed before it gets dark in summer. I'm not doing much solar imaging while the Sun is low but am checking sunspot patterns through a filtered pair of binoculars.

Guest Kheldar

Well I'm hoping I might get a little longer this year as I'm upgraded from 12nm to 3nm in the narrowbands!

Richer than me too, I wussed out at 5nm  :) Not long got them so will be first Summer this year, will be good to see how they compare with the 7nm Veil's from last year

Edited by Kheldar