• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Digital setting circle for Dob

Guest beewolf

Guest beewolf

I did actually take mine apart but the threaded shaft that the hidden screw screws into is actually welded into the bottom ruler.  I was tempted to try to make a copy of this as I have a lathe but it is stepped and I was trying to make the whole job as DIY friendly as possible.  If/when you dismantle yours you will also find that there are lots of small parts and I was quite relieved that it still worked when I got it back together - hence the "leave well alone" approach!

I would be prepared to bet that they are all identical inside - probably all made in the same factory!.  If you are interested in doing the conversion I actually have a spare set of plastic parts you can have for the price of postage - let me know.

Yes you are 100% correct about them being the same items just re badged. Your reply is as I thought hence I awaited your reply to confirm its no worth it.. The only mod I am making to your approach is to use a "Crow foot" spanner instead of the plastic parts  - thats the theory anyway. Thanks for the offer but I will try the latter first.

I have also asked the (one of) Chinese supplier if they would supply the item without the rulers but i doubt that route will be a goer - worth a try.

Thanks Gavin for taking the time to reply.

Now if the weather would clear up  :(