• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Orion in the Peak 2012

Doc

Orion in the Peak 2012

In 2012, we are again asking members of the public, between 16 February and 23 February 2012, to measure how light pollution impacts the darkness of the night sky.

Using this information we will be able to produce a map of night sky quality in the Peak District National Park.

The darkness of the night sky can be measured by comparing how the constellation of Orion (the Hunter) appears where you are, to the sky quality charts in the downloadable pdf below.

The link to submit your results will be posted here soon.

Results for Orion in the Peak 2011

I know most of us are outside the Peak and fairly well scattered but please take part and mention EMS

more info will give us more leverage

It does affect our Belper site and we may be able to push for Discovery Dark sky status even if it is outside the peak

Can I suggest that the pursuit of any kind dark sky status at the cricket club is done with the say so of the club. I think the potential of a field full of scopes would go beyond our remit for using it.

Any dark sky status would involve full discussion with not only the club but the local residents,concil etc

and of course members of EMS

• 2 weeks later...

Quite astoundingly my back garden came out between a 4 and a 5 last night! I counted (if you include the belt) 13 stars inside the 4 main corner stars not including the 4 corners. I'm quite suprised actually being only a mile and a bit off the city centre! Not entered it as I presume it's way too far outside of the target area, but was interesting to compare it.

I did it. I answered 5 as there were way more than in 4, but not all shown in 5 were visible, although certainly closer.