• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First light with the SW ED80 Pro

RonC

Well,very impressed with the ED80! Set upon the EQ% Pro, PA using the new light and 2 star aligned then; M42 clear as a bell with the trapezium very evident. M31,M44, M45, M81&82 all with the 16mm Nirvana then the Double Cluster with a 32mm Panaview!! What a sight, seen it many times but not as good and clear as this!! Decided to attach the 1000d and did a few 30 sec subs of M42,31,82,44,and M45 which I'll process during the week. Only problem I found was the focuser, first of all it does'nt rotate and second is that it slips with a heavier EP in. I think that is the one area I will remedy next month! Enjoyable 3 hours!!

Cheers

Ron

HI Ron,

Glad you had a good 3 hrs - it was clear and a lot less windy - petty it wasnt on Sat. Glad you scope working out fine.

cheap fix on the focuser Ron, have you tried adjusting the little screws on the bottom of the focuser, also buy one of the skywatcher auto focuser units, work a treat for £45 

Guest Kheldar

cheap fix on the focuser Ron, have you tried adjusting the little screws on the bottom of the focuser

+1, there's a guide on FLO about doing it in the blog - I replaced my focuser but the stock one is more than capable to start with :)

No Stephen, just a CLS clip filter in the Canon? More than likely my PS skills!!  :)

Guest Kheldar

which bit the clip in filter or his PS skills :wacko:   :lol:

I didn't want to ask?? :o 

It's the CLS - gives a distinctive blue hue, same as IDAS gives red. Just needs a tweak in PS to fix it :)

Hi Ron,

Nice mini review' Looks like you got to test it out on quite a few objects that night. Shame about the focuser. Does it have a nut to lock it? Let us know how you get on with any adjustment.  

Steve