• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

focusing problem with DBK and Powermate

Guest greencorner

Guest greencorner

Thanks James for your thoughts on the flip mirror adding length to the focuser.  Funny, I was thinking about just that on my way home from work this afternoon.  (Had more time than usual to think about astronomy on my journey due to M1 lane closures!)  I hadn't realised that you normally need more inward travel with a Newtonian

An excellent suggestion, Steve, on aiming for the Moon!  That should certainly reduce the number of variables I've been pondering over.  I did achieve focus without the Powermate and got some wide-view images of Jupiter and 4 moons - can't say how good they are yet as they're still to be processed.  I'm inclined to think James is right when he talks of needing more inward travel - rather than going the other way with ext tubes.  The adapter you use - is that the combined PTR-1250 Powermate adapter and C-mount to T2 adapter?

And thanks for your optimism, Kim!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest greencorner

Hi Guys

Sorry to be so long in getting back.  I've sorted it!!  The gain was too high, which gave the bright screen - not a focusing problem at all.  Doh!

I'm still trying to image Jupiter with my x5 Powermate.  I've managed images with just the DBK: Jupiter plus family of 4.  Still need to find time to stack them.