• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perseus Cluster 2/2/14

RonC

Guest Kheldar

Nice result Ron - I have to agree with (and as per my original comments) the above.

Are you stacking in DSS? Are you selecting the "align colour channels" option? I think that will solve the problem (CLS introducing hue) pretty sharpish without having to do something in PS :)

If it doesn't then you're looking at tweaking the colour balance / selective colour in PS - someone else is probably a better guide on that as I get lost in PS :D

Edited by Kheldar

Oh nice. Always a pretty sight. Nice to know the kit all works :)

Is the image cropped? If not, what is the angular distance from edge of the frame to the other?

Is this with a light pollution filter too? The stars have a cyan hue on my dodgy NHS monitor.

Smashing first capture. Well done, putting the rest of us to shame!

JD

Thanks again Stephen (& Andy), will check that out in DSS  :)

Just the border was cropped James, not sure of the measurement?

Cheers

Ron

The hue is gone Ron :) you can sort the stars in PS. If you haven't already give Doug German's 6 part PS astro image processing tutorials a watch. They are about 10mins each and if I remember correctly he uses the double cluster in one of the videos. Just search "Doug German Astrophotography YouTube" on google.

I wish I was making money from it, could by a C14 then :) I just found them really useful and he has quite an amusing narration in his videos.

Did you get anything useful out of them Ron? I found them really useful (even though I don't do DSO) as a lot of the techniques he describes can be used to some degree when processing planetary images, especially adjustment layers and in some cases layer masking. Like recently I needed to darken the back ground to give Jupiter a more contrasty look but that got rid of the moons that I had just about mange to catch (very dimly) but I just applied a layer mask and erased (with the brush tool) the areas where the moons were and they reappeared :)

Guest Kheldar

Much better Ron, as Felix says that hue is all but gone - the lesser amount of stars I suspect is from it not being stretched as hard maybe?

Maybe also a touch of drift more visible now - it's certainly not coma or rotation. What was the guiding graph like?

Non guided Stephen, just a quick set up on the EQ5 for first light! I'll have another play tonight and stretch a feew more stars 'out' (if I can!)  :)

I see what you mean about star colour Ron, very bright white. Maybe try a hue/saturation adjustment layer in PS and/levels adjustment layer to change the black point so when you adjust curves it doesn't "blow out" the background.

Ron, I don't know anything about this area, but I'll comment as always :)

This new edit has got the cyan hue back again, not sure why.

I had a look for "double cluster" on Google images and this one sprung out at me:

http://www.freewebs.com/jbonald/photos/Galeria-2011/Doble%20Cumulo%20Perseo%20NGC869-884.jpg

Might longer exposures (when you are guiding) just give you that extra bit of data which will allow you to pull out more brightness / colours easier?

James

Agreed James, this was only a test run with the ED80, it's the PS side I was struggling with. had another go from the RAW data last night with a bit more success, I need

to get out and get some more data in but like everybody else the weather is a key factor!!!

Thanks for your comments and here's too clearer sky's!!

Cheers

Ron

It's this bad weather that has had me watching lot of tutorials about image processing. Gotta turn a frown upside down :)