• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Children of the 70s and 80s?

dawson

Guest devil74

Yeah this before J...absolutely brill. Tames me back to days when i had a Commodre 64. That stupid buzzing noise it used to make while the tape was loading and then it got to the end and it had failed to load the game...grrrrrrr  :angry:  :nonono:.

I just googled the C64...released en mass in 1982 and were $595 (and with only 64k RAM)...how mad is that!!!

Ahhhhh the good old days.

Guest Kheldar

Yeah this before J...absolutely brill. Tames me back to days when i had a Commodre 64. That stupid buzzing noise it used to make while the tape was loading and then it got to the end and it had failed to load the game...grrrrrrr  :angry:  :nonono:.

I just googled the C64...released en mass in 1982 and were $595 (and with only 64k RAM)...how mad is that!!!

Ahhhhh the good old days.

64K? Luxury!!! :D

Could be worse Damian, I had a Vic 20 !! 4k RAM, cost me £35 for another 4Kb RAM pack!! :(

Guest peepshow

What about children of the 50's and 60's then??

What about children of the 30's ??????..........

.......Horse and carts. Slates to write on in school. Wireless. No TV. Tin toys. No Supermarkets. :)

I had a Commodore 64 and I'm not that old! My favourite game was called "street beat" where your character walked around the street with a boom box on his shoulder and you had to direct the musical notes to hit people so thy started dancing. Your aim was to get from one end of the street without bumping into "jumping Jack flash" who shorted your boom box out! I still remember the tube the boom box played! Ha ha! Memories :)

I still have my Commodore 64 + 4

Was supposed to be the business version. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by Graham

I had the Texas Instruments one - can't remember the model - but it was the first one with a proper keyboard -  about the size of a net book keyboard nowadays - but no screen so it had to plug in the tv. 

I landed a summer job selling them in Dixons when I was at college - students were the only ones who knew anything about computers in those days (and 7yr old kids :lol:).

What about children of the 30's ??????..........

.......Horse and carts. Slates to write on in school. Wireless. No TV. Tin toys. No Supermarkets. :)

Don't forget the 40s and 50s life was much simpler - Wish I still had my 0 gauge clockwork train. ( no batteries to worry about ) Ah and the Proper Meccano - my first engineering projects. Had mains voltage motor with a slightly frayed cable showing the red and black rubber?

Food came from the grocers around the corner. A treat was a bottle of lemonade and some crisps with the salt in little blue twists that you had to search for...

First computer was a Sinclair Spectrum in the 70s when I was married and then I was hooked and became a Techno Geek.

Ade

My first proper computer was a Speccy. Also what probably lead me down the slippery slope into IT :facepalm:

It's funny how we've all used computers as a focus point for the time, though given the effect on our lives, perhaps not. Being born in the 70's, our generation was the last to not have a processor somewhere in our daily lives.

this was the first non play computer I had 

http://www.old-computers.com/MUSEUM/photos/Compaq_Portable386_Running_s1.jpg

the play one was a bbc

portable but weighed a ton

Sheila,

Photo is of a Compaq luggable (almost) - My first company potable when I was in systems - could actually take it to other sites and home - the slippery slope to IT management.... Microsoft Windows 3.1 if my memory is correct.

We did use BBC micros and Comadore 64s mainly in the Laboratories for analytical work.

Humm.. flash from the past

Adrian

My first computer (not mine Hawker S really ) was a Leo made by Lyons (tea cakes- true) had no disks - hand wired boards & Hollerith cards (advanced) and about 8K of memory made of ferrite core rings about the size of a wardrobe and that was just for the memory!  Then we "Upgraded" and had tape decks,5mb disk,paper tape i/o - all in room about the size of a bungalow( 2bed) - Never cold even in the coldest of winters - When UK had leading edge tech  :(

http://www.leo-computers.org.uk/leo3-photos.html#

Edited by stash

My school had a quarter share in a PDP 8e with 4K of memory and we had to load programs with paper tape. That was in 1970.

In many ways life is better today with 24 hr TV and the internet, both useful on cloudy nights. On the other hand, if you had a degree you could get a "proper" job within a year of leaving and most of us had jobs lined up before we graduated. There was mass unemployment but (fortunately for me) it didn't affect jobs in computer and technology fields, like today. There's less sense of community these days, as people didn't tend to migrate far from where they grew up.

Also (TBH both plusses and minuses) the generation between mine and my parents discovered both sexual liberation and divorce.

I think each age and each generation has its own rewards and challenges. My dad remembered people queueing up at a workplace on Mondays to see if anyone had been sacked on the Friday.

My first computer (not mine Hawker S really ) was a Leo made by Lyons (tea cakes- true) had no disks - hand wired boards & Hollerith cards (advanced) and about 8K of memory made of ferrite core rings about the size of a wardrobe and that was just for the memory!  Then we "Upgraded" and had tape decks,5mb disk,paper tape i/o - all in room about the size of a bungalow( 2bed) - Never cold even in the coldest of winters - When UK had leading edge tech  :(

http://www.leo-computers.org.uk/leo3-photos.html#

Well that's "The" Leo is it not? One of the first full business computers ever created?

That's a pretty historic computer to have worked on if it's the one I'm thinking of......

Well that's "The" Leo is it not? One of the first full business computers ever created?

That's a pretty historic computer to have worked on if it's the one I'm thinking of......

It was pretty "old" by the time I worked on it - had been replaced with ICL 1900 kit - Multi programming - i.e. run more than one stream at a time - IBM said that was impossible. The tech advantage the UK has given away/lost - sad really

Sheila,

Photo is of a Compaq luggable (almost) - My first company potable when I was in systems - could actually take it to other sites and home - the slippery slope to IT management.... Microsoft Windows 3.1 if my memory is correct.

We did use BBC micros and Comadore 64s mainly in the Laboratories for analytical work.

Humm.. flash from the past

Adrian

yup thats the one.....  they bought it me so i could take work home at night :facepalm:  although it was just a MS dos machine when i had it

and then upgraded to 3.1 then windows for workgroups i think :wacko:

Edited by Sheila