• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Power!

Guest recceranger

Guest recceranger

As it's approaching the silly outdoor season I have started getting the camping gear squared for a bit of dark sky AP. can anyone advice on a descent power set up to run HEQ5, Sync-guider with an ED80/ST80 attached. In short, what leads, power pack etc would best suit?

Will be armed with my trusty 4x4 so dark site accessible, no worries

Advice appreciated

Do you have a leisure battery yet Richard? Presumably you're running the mount, 2 cameras, dew heaters, and a netbook or laptop. An 80ah or 110ah one should do the job, along with ciggy socket connectors and cabling. They're circa £80-£100'ish.

Check out the DIY section - a lot of our members make up their own power packs and you can get as fancy as you like - some have very sophisticated battery boxes - look for Allan(the plumber), and Glider's threads. You may also want an inverter for the laptop (unless it's got good, long lasting batteries in it).

I use Tayna for my batteries - but you can shop around for a bargain. Don't forget to get a charger too, unless you have one already. :)

A lot of us run 110 ah leisure battery. Will cope with long

runs and powers dew heaters and everything

Sheila

As it's approaching the silly outdoor season I have started getting the camping gear squared for a bit of dark sky AP. can anyone advice on a descent power set up to run HEQ5, Sync-guider with an ED80/ST80 attached. In short, what leads, power pack etc would best suit?

Will be armed with my trusty 4x4 so dark site accessible, no worries

Advice appreciated

Hi Richard have put a thread in DIY about making a battery box with leisure battery and tool box can send you link to where I sourced all the parts maybe putting one together for Rob ( Red dwarf ) if the cost not too high

It's under DIY "battery and main powered boxes"