• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello!

Guest ecopley

Guest ecopley

Hi all,

I'm a new amateur looking for advice, inspiration and just chat really. At the end of last year I acquired a 6 inch Schmitt on a go-to mount. I've managed to get a few things working (stacking pictures, astrotortilla, eqtooth, webcam, diy modified 450d, guiding...) But getting it to work, as you are all no doubt aware, is only the first step. I have a few pictures - a blurry Jupiter, m42 without much detail and a few others but I'm hoping that, with some help I can improve rapidly and post some before to long.

Looking forward to working with you all!

Ed.

Welcome on board Ed.

Do you have a picture of your set up? Or any of your images to share with us in the relevant sections of the forum; you may get some free advice from the clever guys, and the rest of us do like to see what people are getting up to; I find as much satisfaction with looking at the very amateur images as I do the Olly Penrice 100-hour Photoshopped award winning ones.

Will be good to see you at a dark site sometime for a catch up.

JD

Hi Ed, a warm welcome to EMS.

Iam a visual only guy, mostly for the lack of the patience needed while snarling in a Celtic style at the nest of cables before you.

Iam sure someone will be along to give you some pointers.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Welcome ed, if your imaging with a f10 sct I would certainly fit a f6.3 focal reducer to the rear, your canon will attach to the back of that woth the relevant adapter, then either guide scope on top or duel mount bar, guide with phd and the webcam, and download astro photography tool to collect images and operate your canon.

Hello and welcome to EMS.

Ask any question at all, the only silly question is the one you did not ask!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Guest ecopley

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your kind messages. I have already taken some of your advice and invested in an f6.3 reducer. I wanted to go out and play last night but, like all of you I guess, I don't always get what I want. Still, I'm looking forward to trying again at m42 and then some of the other M's. I'm also aiming to do the 6" version of James's 11" Jupiter animation before Jupiter disappears. Possibly.

Any way, really grateful to you all for such a warm welcome and looking forward to seeing some of you - will join the dark site when I can make it and would be happy to contribute if there's anything I can do.

Clear skies and no sodium...

Ed.

Guest ecopley

Hi Sheila, nice lander!

Allan, you can call me pretty much anything you like. Ed is probably a good start, though!

Very cloudy tonight. Annoyed, should've had a tinker last night. Bumhat!

• 2 weeks later...