• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

What is the new contender for the SPC's crown ?

Graham

Well my tried an much used SPC has gone and died.

What I need to know has anything taken its place.

Is there another webcam I can go out today and buy off the shelf that will perform as well as the old SPC 900.

Come on folks put your thinking caps on as you can bet your last pound it is going to be clear skies all the way whilst I cannot guide. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks James for the link.

You have missed my point a bit though.

I need one like now, hence why I say

"Is there another webcam I can go out today and buy off the shelf that will perform as well as the old SPC 900."

Thanks

Graham

Oh, I thought you meant buy and not have to do any modifications to. Sorry, mis-understanding.

I have no idea. There are lots of discussions about the Xbox camera on SGL, but it doesn't look as good. 365 Astronomy have that ZWO in stock, but you'd have to drive to Worthing to pick it up; might somewhere nearer have one? [i've not seen any reports of how it functions though].

Sorry. I've not helped at all.

JD

Oh, I thought you meant buy and not have to do any modifications to. Sorry, mis-understanding.

I have no idea. There are lots of discussions about the Xbox camera on SGL, but it doesn't look as good. 365 Astronomy have that ZWO in stock, but you'd have to drive to Worthing to pick it up; might somewhere nearer have one? [i've not seen any reports of how it functions though].

Sorry. I've not helped at all.

JD

Not at all James

Your intentions are good and if 365 have those in stock I might just get one.

I know now the spc has died it will be clear and I will not be able to guide in fact I am looking out of the window right now at totally clear blue skies :(:facepalm:

Still I can always stick the DSLR on the rig and do M42 at 30 seconds unguided. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Graham

In short Graham, there isn't one. It's been the topic for debate for quite some time now. I'm not entirely sure why though really, I suspect the chip is still in manufacture somewhere, or could be put back into production. I guess the real issue is that despite us thinking there is a big demand for such a webcam, I rather suspect that a manufacturer of the chip wouldn't consider the numbers to be high enough if they weren't still in production.

It was the chip that made it such a good camera. Somewhere there must be some backstreet computer shop with dozens of them in a cupboard gathering dust.

Hi Mike

That is what I was afraid of hearing.

Might just have to bite the bullet and get a 'proper' guide cam :facepalm:

The Celestron Neximage webcam (the old one) has the same sensor as the SPC900 - you may well find some retailers with stock still left since it was superseded. You may be able to pick one up for a "clearance" price. I think Andy at Astronomiser might have one or two left. :)

The Celestron Neximage webcam (the old one) has the same sensor as the SPC900 - you may well find some retailers with stock still left since it was superseded. You may be able to pick one up for a "clearance" price. I think Andy at Astronomiser might have one or two left. :)

Now strange you should mention one of those.

I have one here.

I managed to find it amongst all the crap I have stacked away in boxes :facepalm:

I tried it and compared to the spc it is rubbish.

Mainly because it can only run at 30 fps. ( it is a planetary webcam )

If I could slow the fps down I think  it would probably be great.

Can it be flashed to think it's a SPC I wonder?

I don't know Mike its that old I had one hell of a job trying to get a driver for it.

Edited by Graham

Yes - the Neximage is configured as a webcam - dunno if it can be jiggered in software - probably - but I wouldn't know how.

Oh well - it was worth a try. :)