• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywacher DOB 18

Bino-viewer

Just a small picture of something 'on the horizon'......  alas no, i don't have one....

I've heard rumours of them on SGL and CN. I didn't see one at Astrofest today, but neither was i looking for one.

Anyway, picked up their free calendar and was surprised to see this in the July month.

The mirror is a 'lightweight honey-comb structure'.

The trusses will be 'collapsable'.

A 'go-to' version is planned.

I believe an 18" and a 20"er will be available. Think they are due this August.

How they are going to combat dew and dirt will be interesting....

Thoughts people.........? 

Heres the pic from the calendar :

12393599714_dd1b58403f_b.jpg
image by rob.0919, on Flickr

As a comparison Explore Scientific has their new 12"  'bare-bones' Dob on display.  A 16" er will soon be available.

The cost : around 750-800 for the 12.  The 16 is looking like 2000  :o (Not sure if thats £ UK or € Euro though)

So an 18, and a 20 ?      .....start saving  :lol:

About spring time last year I was told by a UK supplier that the SW 18" Goto would be pitched to compete with the Orion USA Skyquest XX16g goto dob - circa £3600. They also said that both the 18" and 20" would be available in the UK by November 2013.

I suppose just like the lead in time the price is likely to increase.

A light shroud would be essential for combatting dew and stray light.

....with my somewhat clumsy nature i'd be worried that that delicate mirror would end up in two pieces by the end of a session !!

....with my somewhat clumsy nature i'd be worried that that delicate mirror would end up in two pieces by the end of a session !!

I guess you could easily mistake the mirror for your footstool when stepping up to look through the eyepiece :D

Not a chance that's a SW product IMHO

It's got a SW focuser and EP on it. Doesn't look like a SW product to me either though.

It's got a SW focuser and EP on it. Doesn't look like a SW product to me either though.

Whilst it does not look like a Skywatcher scope I think if you do a little digging on SGL and Cloudy Nights you may be surprised. ;)

Guest devil74

Go on then... ;)

I've started saving matey...I want one with full works on it, full DSC and Argo Navis...god they are beautiful.

In fact to be fair if your having an 18" you may as well go for a 20".

Edited by devil74

I've just been looking at Obsession Damien. Their website is excellent.

They look the bees knees don't they......? I'm going to start saving too......it may take a while though  :(

The 20 is not a lot more $$$ than the 18. But imagine an F/5 20" with its 8 foot eyepiece (zenith) height..... :o

Do you think they would give us a discount of about £21K and I will have the 32inch - Dream on

Perhaps a whip round and share time on it like a time share ?

I would just tell you the Aliens are coming  - bunnies on the starboard  side!

Perhaps a new TV station with a dedicated scope - better than the c**p on the normal TV - the sponsor(s) could pay for the scope via advertising - have to send an email to Wonga  :D

Anyway Kim a 12 bore might move you.

• 2 months later...
Guest Martin Hill

hi Bino viewer

Have you seen the £1299 price tag on the 16inch that telescope house have out ? can it be any good for that price ? Would they sell crap to an internet market like this ? It has me interested .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

Sorry, just seen your post.

Yes, the very same scope was recently discounted by 10% over the Easter period. ( taking it down to £1170 ish )

I posted discussion about it at the time ; you may have seen it.

It was certainly tempting at that price.....but something told me to back off and wait.

Guest devil74

NASA just PM'd me and said they noticed we had been looking at large dobs and if we could build a base big enough we could have Hubble when they've finished with it...I gave them Kim's number.