• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Grantham

Guest Skytriker

Guest Skytriker

Good morning. I have been playing with a £40 Jessops telescope for the past year and have been pleasantly surprised and amazed at what I saw (clearly easily pleased). This has been enough to spark my interest, so am placing my order, on Tuesday, for a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian from FLO. I am fortunate enough to spend part of the year in deepest, darkest France, so have access to some stunningly bright starscapes and pretty much zero light pollution. I will look out for the dates of your Wymeswold meets and come along to find out how it should be done.

Thanks

Roy

Hello Roy and welcome.

I'd love to hear your first words when you look through the 200mm Newtonian after the £40 scope; I think you'll be blown away.

Look forward to seeing you and your new kit in action.

James

Hello and welcome to EMS.

Good choice of first scope you have there, but then I am biased.

If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Roy and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

Good to have you on board and I envy your trips to France - fabulous skies and no LP are a godsend.

Feel free to post any questions in the appropriate sections - or tell us about your observing experiences with your shiny new equipment.

A 200P dob is an excellent upgrade that you're gonna really enjoy for years to come.

Be great to meet you at the next Wymsewold session - till then enjoy the forum. :)

Guest Skytriker

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to meeting some of you and am sure I will be asking plenty of questions. It's good to know that the choice of 'scope meets with expert approval. That way, if anything is wrong I will know it is down to me!

Hi Roy a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a cracking scope, and with a few modifications, it will keep you happy for a long time. The Mods start off with just making it a bit more usable than factory standard, this will make the viewing experience that more pleasurable, by not having to concentrate on the scope, but the sky.

Eyepieces might be a good start, the 25mm isn't too bad, but the 10mm can be vastly improved upon.

As already mentioned, the view through your new scope will really give you that wow factor, especially from darkest France.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, there is always someone with good advice.

I look forward to bumping into you sometime soon, and in the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Guest Skytriker

Thanks Martyn, is there anywhere I can read up on the mods? It will give me something to do while waiting for the cloud to clear.

Just look for dob mods in the diy sections Roy - some useful ones include: lazy susan, setting circles, wixey guage, electronic azimuth guage, right angled finder, flocking, dew shield, telrad, d/s focuser, etc - just to name a few. Happy searching :)

Hello and welcome to EMS.

You will find the group both friendly and helpfully and no question is too silly..

Enjoy

Ade

Sorry about the missing pictures in the lazy Susan bearing guide, need to get round to re adding them in (they got lost when we switched how we host pictures).

Any questions, just shout up.

Hi Roy, I'm local to you. Live in RAF Cranwell but work in Grantham.. Look forward to meeting you at some point. :)

Check out ELAC, this is the Lincolnshire groupfrom EMS  :)

Cheers

Ron