• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Internally Baffled Newts?

Perkil8r

Just wondered, I've seen mention a couple of times about scopes (I think in all cases they have been Newts) where they have internal baffles. Why are they fitted and what difference do they make to the viewing etc?

Only curious, no particular reason.

Guest Kheldar

I don't think they give any benefit for visual use. For imaging they catch those stray rays of light reflecting at funny angles and kill them before they can hit the mirrors;

gallery_10_7_112091.jpg

Would flocking not do the same job? It seems like a lot of work and related extra cost when buying them to have baffles. Whilst from a slightly nerdy (I do like technical bits of kit) point of view I think they look cool, but from a technical view point, if flocking would achieve the same result it does seem like over engineering.

Ah to flock or not to flock, to baffle or not to baffle, that is the question. Some manufacturers flock only some baffle only me personally I like to see both.

Anything you can do to reduce stray light and improve contrast the better.

Baffles in newts/reflectors have started to take off now at one time newts just had plain tubes but then Intes started to baffle the insides and they seem to have set a trend me thinks. A fast newt will benefit all the more from baffles.

In the ATM forums the consensus is a mix. Baffles and some flocking between the ep and the 1st baffle. I personally do this on my refractors and I flock the 1st baffle face that faces the ep just to be sure. This really does help contrast.

Phil

Baz Snr flocked his 300P and the difference in contrast was striking - like a new scope. I'll be doing mine, soon as I have the energy to get off my behind lol :)

Flocking is something I intend to do eventually, but with only a few hours of viewing under my belt I think I wouldn't appreciate it just yet. Not that it gives me a reason not to do it, I realise I would still gain from doing it, but I would rather wait a bit so I fully appreciate the difference. As for baffles, well I guess the theory is there, and if folks see the benefits then it must work. I wonder how long it'll take before people start retro fitting baffles (if they haven't already)?

Just about to order some of this for when I'm ready:

http://www.calicolaine.co.uk/Self-Adhesive-Felt-p1660.html

Seems like a good price to me and £2.95 postage I think it is. There might be cheaper options, but this is 1m x 0.9m so can do it in one piece. Going to try a small off cut on something first because a few years ago I used to race RC cars, and when we used to glue the tyres on, we put lighter fluid on the surface of the glue before sliding them onto the wheel. It allowed it to slide and be re positioned for about 20 mins afterwards. The fluid then evaporated off leaving the glue to stick just as normal. My thinking is that this might work.

Alternatively, I occassionally help a sign writter friend of mine to apply vinyl stickers. We use very slightly soapy water to slide them about, then squeegy the water out from underneath, the rest evaporates off over a few hours leaving it very securely stuck in place. That might also work...... so will have a play with it and see as I don't fancy my chances of laying it dry in one hit over that length on the inside of a tube without making bubbles etc.

Mike - make sure the felt side is fixed firm and doesn't malt or you'll get black specks of felt all over the primary :)

Mike - make sure the felt side is fixed firm and doesn't malt or you'll get black specks of felt all over the primary :)

A good point. Is felt a good idea then, or should I be searching for something else? I'm never keen on buying "off the shelf" and "packaged" goods like this because you just know you're paying a premium for the packaging and convenience of it all if you follow what I mean....

At a guess I would say get the flat felt as opposed to the fluffy felt - there are several grades of it you can check when you buy :)

I flocked my 200p ages ago and I'm sure it made a difference. I do find that dewey nights sometimes lift corners which can look a little odd when doing a star test, but a drop of glue sorts that out.

Do you think the stuff I found on fleabay sounds a more suitable idea than the "felt"? Am hovering over the keyboard deciding if I should buy some or not, still not convinced I'll manage to apply it in one piece, but determined to try because I think it would be the nicest looking job rather than try and join multiple pieces neatly. The idea of taking the scope apart to that extent does kind of worry me a bit because I've only had the thing a couple of weeks or so, but as they say on Top Gear "How hard can it be?!" lol

The ebay stuff sounds similar to FLO's offering, but you'd never properly be able to tell without having both products in front of you. Before I flocked mine with the protostar stuff from the states, I checked the forums at the time and whilst some had used felt, popular opinion suggested that it was too absorbent with dew and it can deposit fibres where fibres shouldn't be.

I think I'll risk it. It's not like it's a lot of money so I'll get some and have a test with some on something else before I attempt the scope so I can see how much I can move it about, drying times etc. If all else fails I'll be able to put flocking on the bottom of everything else in the house :D

Sounds like a plan. You could use sellotape wrapped around your hand sticky side out and see what comes off.

Yeah, not a bad idea, I'd thought about cutting it to size and hoovering it first. It's velour though so should be okay as velour isn't very fluffy unlike felt.

Mike, I think that velour stuff is exactly the same product as FLO are selling for flocking. I got a couple of rolls of it from Wilkos last week. Not tried to apply it yet but bits don't come off it & it's blacker than felt.

Mike, I think that velour stuff is exactly the same product as FLO are selling for flocking. I got a couple of rolls of it from Wilkos last week. Not tried to apply it yet but bits don't come off it & it's blacker than felt.

I flocked my scope with the same stuff from wilkos about 2 months ago, no shedding at all by the looks of it so i would say its great. Also i would imagine if FLO are now selling it it must be suitable.

That's all good then, thanks chaps. It's not been despatched yet, but that's no great problem. Not sure I'm brave enough to tackle it just yet. Amazing how yesterday I was enquiring about why baffles are sometimes fitted with no intention of flocking my scope, now less than 24 hrs later I've talked myself into it and bought the stuff to do it with :rolleyes: Patience never was my strong point lol

I looked in Wilkos Derby the other week for the black velour but couldnt find it, where would I find it, DIY, Household etc????

Cheers

Phil

I would like to know too please as I plan on going to wilkos tomorrow :)

I did my sct years ago made all the diference and when I got the 300 It was flocked the same afernoon it arived and shiny things were painted with blackboard paint

got my flock from an upholstery place in Sheffield

The stuff I ordered off fleabay has arrived. It looks good, no fluff and nice and thin. Just going to wait for Dion to do the vid and I'll have a crack at it. I'd certainly reccomend the company I got it off. Vinyl Depot, they have their own website and also sell on fleabay. The stuff I got is 900mm wide and 1M long, I believe they do upto 5M in one length.