• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Internally Baffled Newts?

Perkil8r

I looked in Wilkos Derby the other week for the black velour but couldnt find it, where would I find it, DIY, Household etc????

Cheers

Phil

Hey Phil,I just bought some of the self adhesive D C Fix Gloss finish material from the big wilkos in Leicester. I found it in the Kitchen section in its own sort of stand alone stand. They had the velour style stuff aswell I just thought it may attract more dew so went for the smooth gloss black finish instead.

Felix

Just a word of warning, you don't want gloss, as it's internal reflections you are trying to stop. You should have really gone for the velour, as putting on the shiny stuff might actually make the situation worse..

Be a man like me, take it back and say the wife bought the wrong one. :D

Ha ha, nice one Baz. Just like me, I am the captain of this ship, and I have the wife's permission to say so!

Just a word of warning, you don't want gloss, as it's internal reflections you are trying to stop. You should have really gone for the velour, as putting on the shiny stuff might actually make the situation worse..

Be a man like me, take it back and say the wife bought the wrong one.

Thanks Martyn, I did just that :) I have the velour stuff now. However she was right next to me so I had to say "she was distracting me and I bought the wrong one!" ha ha!

I'm just awaiting Dions video and then I will attempt taking the scope apart and flocking it! Agghh! Just the thought frightens me!

Felix

Before you do it, take it out and have a look at something, so you can compare the difference after you have completed it.

Thanks Felix Ill take a look. Why would they put it in the kitchen section ?????

Yep always go for as flat a black as poss, gloss will make it worse.

Phil

Thanks Felix Ill take a look. Why would they put it in the kitchen section ?????

Yep always go for as flat a black as poss, gloss will make it worse.

Phil

Who knows Phil, probably some genius (19yr old) manager using some twisted logic as to the kitchen section being the place where everyone would look for black velour :)

Have got the black velour now. Just gotta pluck up the courage to start undoing screws on my 200p! lol!

That's a bit wierd, a couple or more of my posts this afternoon have disapeared?

Are you sure it's not just that we have been discussing this same issue in the latest purchases thread aswell as this one peril?

Are you sure it's not just that we have been discussing this same issue in the latest purchases thread aswell as this one peril?

:blink: Doh! :lol: I thought it was wierd, you're quite right, my bad lol

It was easier than I imagined but not as easy as I had hoped ;)

I took it all apart then put it on the mount with the rings quite loose so I could rotate the tube. Measured and cut it to size then peeled about 1" back all along one edge of the length. I started with the join at the top in the rings and lightly pressed both ends then the middle of the edge into place and adjusted so it was straight then pressed it home. Then just take both corners of the backing from either end and gently pull back to reveal more sticky side and smooth from the middle outwards. Once the stuck part was towards 1/4 of the way round I stopped, rotated the tube so that the last stuck part pressed home was at the top and go again a couple of inches at a time and so on untill it was all stuck down. Then spent 15 mins or so rubbing it to find any trapped bubbles.

I probably found 5 bubbles in total, firm pressure slowly moving towards a hole in the tube or an edge will allow the air to escape. I had one stuburn bubble so a sharpe blade to pierce it then push the air out and job done. Sharp blade to cut holes out and bang it all back together again.

If I were to do it again, I would use the same technique but would do it slower I think. I got a bit carried away and was doing 4 or 5 inches in a go which probably caused the bubbles.

I just need to flock the focuser tube and get some black paint to do the edge and back of the secondary and outside of the focuser. I did flock the Finder scope retaining plate whilst I was at it, seemed a shame not to really. I was suprised how quickly I was able to collimate it back up, I guess it's paid off reading about it and watching endless videos and checking and re checking the past few weeks. It really was easy!

Nice job Mike, far neater than mine. I realised that trying to do full length strips was fraught with trouble so I did the tube in two halves with the shorter strips meeting half way down the tube. Whilst it is perfectly functional, all of those joins don't look to pretty and I do get the occasional dog eared corner that needs to be stuck down.

Thamks.

I had 10 mins spare this morning so whipped out the focuser and flocked it. Just the outside to paint up and the secondary and I think we're all finished.