• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

S@N BBC4 10pm tonight

Perkil8r

That was actually a good programme, lets hope they keep it up. Im not a fan of Maggies presentation but when she is scripted she isnt to distracting

I thought it was pretty good, far better than I feared it might be. I'm with Phil, I'm not a fan of Maggie, I think it's the wobbly head, but she wasn't too bad.

Chris has come out of his shell in recent times in my opinion; I always used to find him very dry and unaminated, but now he seems excited by it all, which is good.

JD

Yup - just what I thought too - he really seemed to come to life at last and spoke with enthusiasm not before seen. :)

"I prefer it, IMO better then the original."

Yup - I agree with that too Mick - the new lively format made me realise how stale the old show had become. :)

i agree.  It's a quirky programme, but lots of info.  I have it booked in for next month too.

Yup - just what I thought too - he really seemed to come to life at last and spoke with enthusiasm not before seen. :)

"I prefer it, IMO better then the original."

Yup - I agree with that too Mick - the new lively format made me realise how stale the old show had become. :)

A little slicker may be?

I think it's looking good.

Chris has grown on my quite a bit. Patrick's appeal was very often that he was an "amateur" and at times I thought Chris was a little too academic and with a voice at times lacking intonation but he has grown into the role and certainly seams a little more enthusiastic than he was earlier on. This is all for the better.

I've heard her skirt/dress mentioned somewhere Ron!  :) Yes it was pretty shocking.

Love the show and hope it goes on for many years to come.

Do you think it is getting more Mainstream - dare I say - and less geeky?  (I do geeky B) )

A good mix I thought and an improvement which can only benefit this fascinating Hobby.

May The Sky Be Clear and the Stars with you....

Ade

Only just managed to watch the recording of S@N.

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of Maggie's presentation style,  but it was only the first episode and I actually thought she did OK.

There did seem to be something of a shift if focus towards getting people involved at the grass roots level and whilst there is the danger of dumbing down too much, I think it can only be a good thing to try make astronomy more accessible and seem less off limits to newcomers.

But if they are going to take that route then apart from the features showing how to navigate the sky etc, they should perhaps consider getting Pete Lawrence to do a feature on what to be wary of when buying telescopes. And by that I mean the cheap 'science' toys with totally unrealistic magnification claims that are so abundant on the highstreet and internet and have the potential to destroy a newcomers enthusiasm.  

Overall, I thought it had a fresher look than at any time over the past few years, even the last year or so before they lost SPM and certainly the time between then and now.

But maybe my views were influence by the fact that Helen Czerski was in it ...... Anything with Helen Czerski in it can't be bad.  

More Helen Czerski please, please, please!

[may need to edit this in case SWMBO sees it!]

That pleases me for two reasons.

1. The chance (no matter how remote) of more Helen Czerski.

2. No mention of Jon Culshaw.

:-)