• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Tonight's Moon

Almost looks like the moon is looking at something and saying ooooooh - yes I have a vivid imagination :D

Nicely framed; did you crop it much? It looks good on my phone, though a bit dark. But good to use the opportunity of a bit of clear sky. Good timing. How was the seeing?

Why did you go for ISO 3200 and 1/1600th? Why not ISO 400 and make the shutter speed 1/200th?

Great to see there may be a temporary break in the weather.

Jd

Nicely framed; did you crop it much? It looks good on my phone, though a bit dark. But good to use the opportunity of a bit of clear sky. Good timing. How was the seeing?

Why did you go for ISO 3200 and 1/1600th? Why not ISO 400 and make the shutter speed 1/200th?

Jd

I'm a bit new to this prime focus lark, so I might try different settings. I wanted to make sure I got something before the weather changed again. I did some cropping but it just about filled the DSLR frame anyway. Some frames had bits missing but stacked OK.

Ah i see. Yeah, it can be very changeable this recent weather.

Do you have a live view mode on your dslr? I find that very useful in terms of framing and adjusting settings.

You could probably brighten that whole image up quite easily, but i have no idea how as my processing skills are still awful (as is my laptop).

Inspiring to see others are getting out there despite the weather.

Jd

Jd

I tried your suggestion last night and used your recommended ISO settings and shutter speed and came up with this:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/PhillipPugh/media/MoonY14FebD10_zpsc92a9407.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

The "exposure" looks very similar to the original image, but you should have less graininess with the lower ISO (i'm only on my mobile so can't easily see). It still looks slightly underexposed so i'd have a play with the shutter speed and try 1/100th of a second to see if that gives you a better exposure (brighter image).

If you have video mode on the dslr, maybe try recording 60 seconds of video, run that through PIPP to convert it to an avi file, then stack that avi file in registax.

James

Hi Phil. Have a play with the Levels in GIMP. Bring the white level across a bit and you'll brighten the image up no end. I'd also run an Unsharp Mask too. That'll really bring out the details.

Yep second what Leigh said have a play with the levels/curves/saturation in your chosen image editing package. Maybe you could put a link to the raw, unedited data and we could have a go and share what we did?

Thats much better Phil, well done. Colour and exposure is better, although the focus is slightly off however. I can only say how to use unsharp mask in photoshop-do you use photoshop?