• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M99 update

Ibbo

Newbie Alert... please explain Bunnies and flats (ok I can probably find that one out!) and how the flats help with the "bunnies" (no fluffy tails please ;):))

p.s. what's the arrow pointing at then Steve :)

S

Bunnies refers to dust bunnies. Dust on the sensor of the camera.

Flats are basically flat field images, images of a flat, evenly lit surface. The purpose of which are to capture defects in the image train, in particular dust on either the sensor, lenses, mirrors and vignetting where the outer edges of the frame are darker than the inner part. Processing then compensates for these defects, lessening their effect on the overall image.

The arrow is pointing to the newly found Super Nova in M99 :)

Bunnies are "Dust bunnies". Little specks of dust on the lens/sensor. Flats can get rid of these in the processing stages. The arrow is pointing at the supernova in M99 :)

Bunnies refers to dust bunnies. Dust on the sensor of the camera.

Flats are basically flat field images, images of a flat, evenly lit surface. The purpose of which are to capture defects in the image train, in particular dust on either the sensor, lenses, mirrors and vignetting where the outer edges of the frame are darker than the inner part. Processing then compensates for these defects, lessening their effect on the overall image.

The arrow is pointing to the newly found Super Nova in M99 :)

Was wondering myself....

Ta for that.

Ade

What's the diagonal line running from mid left to bottom centre? :o

DEATH TO BUNNIES!!!!!!

no idea as I cannot see it

our monitors must be set up a lot differently

I see it too. I didn't notice it on my laptop screen but its clearly there now I look at it on my desktop screen.

i cant see it either :(

I'm glad about that

I did use a spider and a pantone calibration tool but as virtually nobody else did or they were both faulty, so what I processed looked way off on other folks monitor :chin_scratch2:

Found it with a heck of a stretch in PS looks like a satellite/plane  track

I am guessing as its only a single track a satellite

I used a median combine as opposed to my normal SD mask as there are only 4 subs