• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First Experiences of a Newbie with the 200P DOB

Toymaster

Hi,

Having been ill for over a week on Monday I took the EMS DOB over to Kim's Astro Epicentre for a check over and multiple cuppas  :)  :)  Didn't know which bit of kit to look at first and he did have to show off the Big One (Meade LB)

Thanks Kim it was great to meet up.

OK so last night there were breaks in the cloud and so out went the DOB.

First object the Moon with a 25mm EP - Like nothing I have seen before with so much detail and easy to find  :)

Next Jupiter - Bit more of a fiddle to find with the scope, but we had set-up the finder and so once I had wrestled the mount and got the finder on the spot then I found Jupiter was in the field of view. The dual speed focuser is a joy.

There it was a bright disk with four pinpoint moons just like diamonds in the sky. Then once my looking improved and also the seeing, was I imagining bands on the bright disk or not? No they were definitely there - Wow.

I rushed in the house to get Sylvia (my wife) who said "I'm cooking tea what is so important?" End result off went the stove and she joined me in the garden. I can't say that she shared my enthusiasm but she did have a good look and showed quite an interest. Always good when I'm planning a major Spend.  ;)  ;)  ;)

The DOB mount takes a bit of adjusting on the Alt but after a few twists of the handles I was away. The Lazy Susan mod is a dream. There was a breeze but the mount was rock solid.

I compared it with my High Street, Celestron AstroMaster 114EQ on the standard GEQ mount.

No contest - The Moon was OK, and I could see Jupiter and the four moons but I could barely make out the bands.

Also the mount was slightly moving in the breaze - not good. I did however find the EQ mount easier to track with the adjuster.

End result: NO CONTEST - But no surprises there. The 200P DOB really does represent good performance for your bucks, but now I may be on the slippery slope to Bigger, BIGGER and EVEN BIGGER  B)  B)  B)  B)

Thanks EMS

Ade.

"...Kim's Astro Epicentre...."

LOL Ade - I really must sell some of it now I've settled on just a few main items.

Sounds like you had a smashing first session with the 200P - just a few carefully selected eyepieces and you'll be even more amazed at the detail you can pick up. And wait till you see what the 300P can do - it'll knock your socks off!

Congrats and clear skies. :)

Great stuff :) Glad to hear the loan scope is getting good use and encouraging people. I like that you commented on the lazy susan as if it is the dob base that i donated to EMS then it was me that installed it :) Does the dob base still have the Setting circle installed or has that been removed?

Great stuff :) Glad to hear the loan scope is getting good use and encouraging people. I like that you commented on the lazy susan as if it is the dob base that i donated to EMS then it was me that installed it :) Does the dob base still have the Setting circle installed or has that been removed?

Felix,

Good job - Setting circle still there.

Ade

"...Kim's Astro Epicentre...."

LOL Ade - I really must sell some of it now I've settled on just a few main items.

Sounds like you had a smashing first session with the 200P - just a few carefully selected eyepieces and you'll be even more amazed at the detail you can pick up. And wait till you see what the 300P can do - it'll knock your socks off!

Congrats and clear skies. :)

Kim,

Dust off the 300P and get it ready to rock and bring it round for a play....

I wait to be amazed yet again.

Ade

Guest devil74

Excellent Ade...glad you enjoyed it so much. I love the enthusiasm of a beginner. I remember last year when i started, a few of us went round Baz's one night. He had his 12" Dob and Daz (Type-R) had his 200P running with all the dew kit running etc. I remember Allan the Plumber and Rob (Red dwalf) being there too. What a night that was, I so clearly remember looking at Jupiter and being totally wowed, that's what got me started.

Its brilliant that EMS folks are so helpful. When you consider that newbies are people they have never likely met before and yet they invite you round their pad and make you soooo welcome...what a great bunch of lads n lasses. 

Here Here for EMS. 

Edited by devil74

Iam glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Ade.

You did well getting the missus out to have a look, but as you say, it strengthens your spending plans. :)

There's loads more up there, you just need a few good nights to have a proper look without this rubbish weather.

Kim's place is like that shop for Wizards in Harry Potter, but with astronomical stuff. :D

Wonderful write-up Ade. A joy to read. Glad you got out and managed to see Jupiter. The bit I've never seen is the great red spot.

Best wishes and better weather for all (with less moon light please :) )

Steve

I once had the dosh to get a 200mm Dob but have a 127mm Maksutov instead. It's more portable, which is important for me. I might be a big bloke but I have back trouble. It would be interesting to see if the Moon looks better in my Mak or a Dob.

I once had the dosh to get a 200mm Dob but have a 127mm Maksutov instead. It's more portable, which is important for me. I might be a big bloke but I have back trouble. It would be interesting to see if the Moon looks better in my Mak or a Dob.

I know exactly what you mean....

Last night I pulled my back taking the DOB outside. Guess I should have removed the tube first  :unsure:

However having taken it out I took a look around Orion and M42. It was amazing how many stars and detail the 200mm aperture brought in.

I also fancy the Mak 127 as it is so handy as a grab and go, but have not played with one yet to be able to compare.

Thinking of maybe going in the direction of the 300P Flex DOB with GoTo etc. Got to be good for visuals of DSOs.

Or should it be a SW 200P on an HEQ5 mount or better?

No rush though,

Ade

I use my 200P on an NEQ6 Ade and it's a fantastic combo once you get to grips with setting up and using an EQ mount. I just watched all of Dion (from astronomy shed) YouTube tutorials on complete mount setup and use and they got me going in no time :)

The 300P is a cracking scope and will really open up the sky to the faint fuzzies. the only problem being it needs carting to a dark site to gt the best out of it.

That said it will be a bit more friendly to your back than the 200P on an EQ mount, this may need a Yoga course to get you to the eyepiece some of the times.

I find moving the 300P just about the biggest that I can manage to move about in a car on my own, and it doesn't take long to set up and get going.

If you want to play with a 300P, have a chat with Kim if he still has his. It will give you an idea of what the missus will have to put up with when it's in it's pride of place in the Lounge. :D

The 300P is a cracking scope and will really open up the sky to the faint fuzzies. the only problem being it needs carting to a dark site to gt the best out of it.

That said it will be a bit more friendly to your back than the 200P on an EQ mount, this may need a Yoga course to get you to the eyepiece some of the times.

I find moving the 300P just about the biggest that I can manage to move about in a car on my own, and it doesn't take long to set up and get going.

If you want to play with a 300P, have a chat with Kim if he still has his. It will give you an idea of what the missus will have to put up with when it's in it's pride of place in the Lounge. :D

Thanks Martyn,

I've already had a quick look at Kim's 300P and felt the weight of the OTA - As it is a Flex it was not too bad.

We will probably have a play with it over the next few weeks.

Ade