• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Ultra bright Venus but what are the 3 objects nearby

stash

At about 6.15am today I was looking at Venus , just eye balling, which is very bright at the moment. However even with the naked eye I could see 3 objects to the right at about 1.00 oclock. They formed a triangle and were easy to see for about 30mins.

As I understand Venus doesn't have any "Moons" so I would like to know what the three objects were. Looked at Stellarium for the date/time but still not really the wiser. 

Mars, Saturn, and Spica - they've been there a couple of mornings recently :)

(Long narrow triangle on it's side with Saturn at the apex)

Looking on some of my apps on the IPhone the only thing I can find that is even close to a triangle is a double star and 2 variable stars, although at avg mag of 5.5 i`m not sure that you would have eye balled them, especially as the sun is starting to rise.  There are also some nubula round that area and some Messier objects but again, they are pushing mag 6 so to be honest, I have no idea what you saw.

(and dont anybody dare say aliens!!!!)

:nonono::bat:

Mars, Saturn, and Spica - they've been there a couple of mornings recently :)

Ddint think of looking that far , ithey also could of been Mars, Saturn and Arcturus, all depends on "how big" this triangle is and how far from Venus was you looking.

Have a look around 4:30 - 5:00am long before sunrise - they're much more obvious then against the dark sky. I've been watching them at that time for the last week or two. :)

I thought they maybe A*&^%s :nuke:   :chin_scratch2:

However I can't see south from my bedroom so I had discounted Saturn (at that time) and they were (appeared !) very close (yes I know) and surely Saturn would have been much higher than Venus and Mars to the right and higher than Saturn. 

Looking at Stellarium again the 3 objects in overall shape(triangle) and appearance correspond to M22,M25 and NGC 6530.

I understand the latter should not be visible with the naked eye and I hadn't touched a drop for days - honest!  Even checked the D/Glazing for glowing dirt.

If its clear again 2morrow I will take a picture(try) - may even get the scope out .  

Just interesting!

Thanks Kim/Darren

yeh that looks like the objects - NOT :D

Any way I am half alien - well my Dad was from Poland and I still have his British Govt Issued Alien card to prove it !

Hmmm ... if it was that close then it could have been M25 and M22 - and NGC530 has the Lagoon snuggled in behind it (NGC6523) - but you're doing well if you can see that lot naked eye. They're all circa mag 4.8 to mag 6.0 and my old eyes wouldn't stand a chance lol. Time to get a scope on them and confirm I think. :)

Hopefully we'll get a clear night up the field soon - there's a lot of interesting stuff round the top of the Teapot asterism. And this is the time of year to bag them all. :)

I can only say what I  saw (or thought I saw) but it was there for 15mins till the clouds rolled in - but I am as confused as you are. I can't see a house two feet in front of me but long range not too bad - but not that good.

As you say needs more investigation - if I get chance to erect my scope and they are there again I will sketch what I see - I am crap(tech term!) at taking pictures thro my scope!

I'll have a go with a scope if it's clear tomorrow morning Clive. Only trouble is I have a street light directly south of me and only on the other side of the road - so might be a hiding to nothing. I usually pitch the tripod behind the caravan to screen the light off - but then I'm restricted to higher elevations.

I deffo wanna catch Saturn sometime soon though - it's at it's best for the year during Feb. :)

I'll have a go with a scope if it's clear tomorrow morning Clive. Only trouble is I have a street light directly south of me and only on the other side of the road - so might be a hiding to nothing. I usually pitch the tripod behind the caravan to screen the light off - but then I'm restricted to higher elevations.

I deffo wanna catch Saturn sometime soon though - it's at it's best for the year during Feb. :)

Its getting the umph to do it , for me ,in the morning ! Dont mind doing it all night but just getting up and out early I hate.  My garage blocks the view to the south and some conifers for low down stuff - still there days are numbered :evil:

Solved  :facepalm:  :whistle:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:  - It was Venus being reflected from a Wardrobe mirror back onto Double glazing - must be concave (?) a bit as the size was 1/10 of the actual Venus image and so looked like stars. So it was acting like the heads up kit RAF fly boys use !

It seems to only happens  when seeing  Venus which I assume is due to the brightness at such low altitude. It doesn't happen with "normal" stars!

The give away was that i got up 30 mins earlier than yesterday and saw the same three objects but they were the same size/shape as Venus but in a different position, in a straight  line behind Venus. Then as time went by and Venus rose higher the three objects got smaller and moved round to the position I saw them yesterday.

Sorry Kim if I lead you on a wild goose chase  :blush:  :facepalm:

Just shows you what the mind can see and why perhaps so many people see a****s  :screwloose:

LMAO - Clive - are you viewing from indoors? I assumed you were outside looking at the sky...... I hope you were or I'm gonna feel a right plonker...... hahaha :lol: :lol:

:facepalm: Yes I was in bed looking outside seeing what the sky was like and deciding if I had the umphhh to get the kit out. Yes should have known better but it did look convincing at the time and all the other stars were ok.

"Once bitten twice" etc :facepalm: Still it gave everyone a laugh and wont be the last "cock up" I make (or have ever made - me human !)

Again sorry if I lead you up the garden path. :tumbleweed:  

Lol - no probs Clive - we all did that at the beginning.

I was using a scope from indoors through an open window for 6mths before I realised the value of being outside and polar aligned :lol:. Gave myself rsi of the wrists turning both axes constantly - and waiting weeks/months for objects to come round to the window's fov lmao. :)

Didn't view with a Scope from inside I was just using my eye's for the weather and saw "IT" - but take the point - idiot yes but enjoying it.