• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Stellarium - User Locations

Al.Grant

Hi,

I've been trying to input a few user locations into Stellarium and each time it seems to add them to the list, but fails to load them again next time I start Stellarium.

I have added my home location and have '#use as default' and this comes back up each time I restart.

However there are some other locations I'd like to add, these do not seem to be in the list.

I've looked at the user_locations.txt file  in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Stellarium\data  (Win 7) and can see my default 'home' location and the entries that I previously put in (so I know the details are getting written to the file), but they don't show on reload.  

I have entered a test location, not set as default and checked the user_locations file and can see that info in list.  Close Stellarium & open again and again still in the file but not showing in the list.

I can't find any other file that stores the locations or anything that tells Stellarium where to load them from ..

....any idea what I'm doing wrong  ?

Thanks

Yup - I made the same mistake - after changing any settings - allways go back to the Main tab on the Configuration (spanner) window.

Hit the "Save Settings" button before closing Stellarium down. :)

(Even though it's obvious - something about the order of events moving round the different screens makes it not so obvious lol)

Thanks.

Should have mentioned that had already done that for the last few attempts, but there were some that where I had not saved. 

I have just managed to fix it by editing the user_locations file.

Seems it was my rather random naming convention :wacko:   I wanted to keep my own entries easy to find at the top of the list.
I added a ! to my home location - so !Whitwick - and this worked fine, showing up at the top of the list and easy to find.
For the others I added a # - #placename - and Stellarium didn't like this.  As soon as I edited the place names from # to ! they all show up at the top.

I named them like that because there are a number of default place names that like 'Afula that I wanted to be above in the list. Numbers didn't work, still coming in below all the Israeli names.  I got sick of scrolling through dozens of random names of places I'll never need.

There were also a number of duplicates in the list from times when I hadn't done the save, I also removed these.

Wish I could find where to remove most of the default names.

Thanks again

# (hash) is often used by programs as the start of a comment line and won't be read. That or it's treated as an invalid character, with the same result.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Al,

Stelarium will deposit up to  three ssystem.ini files on your hard disk, you will probably need to deit them all. If you do a search/find on you r program drive (usually c:) this will find the little blighters. One will be in the stellarium program folder, one  usually in c:\users\<username>\appdata\roaming\stellarium\data, and sometimes one more in temp.

You can put in the ini files any new object once you know  orbit data etc, its pretty easy for new comets!.(or you can update the star catalogues!)

Ah yes - the hash "#" will screw things up as Leigh says - I hadn't though of that. You'd think I would notice being a programmer lol.

And as Damian says - keep an eye on any configuration files like ssystem.ini . They can be a right pain when you're updating to the next version of Stellarium.

Glad it's sorted :)

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Kim,

Its not system.in thats a Windows system file. Stellarium ones are ssystem.ini (with that extra 's')..Unless you know what you are doing would not recommend editing of your system.ini file :)

Just a note when editing ANY system file - Please make a copy of the file before your edit it. A good IT trick is to add the date in yymmddhhmm form - e.g. ssystem.ini copy becomes ssystem201402121605.ini. That way if you make a "cock up" you can go back to the last working version. Do not rely on the created/update date/time as shown on a directory listing.

;)

Guest Tweedledum

No need to do that as you would have a full secure backup. Wouldn't you?? ;) .....And you wouldn't go editing system files without a backup.

SSytem.ini is not a system critical file, it is  almost like an autoexec.bat for Stellarium. There will be two other (three other on my W7) copies if you mess up and if you do not have a backup.

Yeh like 100's of my customers say "Not had time to do a backup"  meaning never, or "what xx quid for the set up discs/sw download" - as the hard disc (all partitions) have been lost and they didn't create the backups when they first had the new PC/Laptop.

Guest Tweedledum

He He Clive,

Sounds like you have the official t-shirt too.Have cleared up after two proper IT disasters and the number of people who now take backups has increased!

If you don't back up AND test the state of the backups (another common mistake) you deserve all you get - harsh but true.

As my son is told in the services - "expect to win but have a backup plan" ;)