• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M51 with a video camera

Graham

Took this on the 22nd of Jan with my Samsung SBC 2000 video camera running at 128 times intigration.

Its a 5000 frame AVI stacked in Registax 5.

Taken using my 8 inch Helios.

Guiding was done manually using the slew buttons in EQMOD to correct the tracking.

Thats a good un Graham plenty of detail coming through. I take it it wasnt taken with a reducer due to the image scale. A reducer would really pull the faint stuff in, see my post in the video section that was through an F7 5" refractor with a 1/2 reducer on the cam and the faint stuff is coming through nicely on a 2 minute stack.

Theres quite a bit of amp glow coming through with the 5000 frames perhaps some darks may help there,

. I usually limit my video runs to a max of 2 minutes with the mintron, after that amp glow gets too intrusive. Dark frame subtraction would help I supposse but I very rarely take darks when using my Mintron because lets face it, its video astronomy and I'm not after hubble quailty photos I just want to see the faint fuzzies live :)

Phil

Hi Phil.

You are correct no reducer. I did try a 0.5 reducer but I found I could not get to a focus point with it on the newt.

The amp glow seems to be a real problem with this camera. I can get rid of it by turning down the intigration cycle or the gain ect but then I loose the detail, bit of a no win situation.

I have tried processing with DSS with 'darks' added but I must be doing something wrong as the final image is completely light grey in colour. I then have to play with the adjustments just to get the background back to being black.

Thanks

Graham

Ive never played with darks on my Mintron so cant help there. I started with a 12V1 Mintron and that had similar amp glow but a few years ago after the release of the 12V6 I swapped and this camera has markedly reduced amp glow and noise but I still have to limit the stack size (exposure time).

Phil

IIRC

Regisatx has the abiliity to do dark corection

The light grey may be down to the need to stretch the image as normal

DSS always comes out light and in need of a stretch and a uping of the sturation with my images which I do in photoshop

Completly lost in all your guys dark side imagining techno talk, but loving the image all the same, very nice, can't wait to see this for myself. :)

Don't worry Daz most of this processing stuff is way over my head as well.

Steve - Thanks for the info. I will try using darks in Registax and see what happens.