• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Remote Imaging with iTelescope

Al.Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first real attempt at imaging with iTelescope yesterday  (earlier attempts were with a 'moon discount' - but wanted a quick try of the system out at a discount rate)

First run was a wide field setup, using a SBIG STL-11000M mounted on a Takahashi FSQ ED in Australia.  The target is NGC3372  (Carina Nebula)

Only took the following - but will be going back for more.

4 x 300s Luminance 1x1 binning

2 x 300s R,G,B 2x2 binning

Wanted to look at the initial results before trying to get more L,R,G,B data and probably some Ha/OIII.

Just downloading the full results now, but looking promising (to these inexperience eyes).

In addition to the FITs files I set it to generate previews of the first & last images in the run.

This is a preview of one of the Luminance shots.

t12-algrant-ngc3372-20140305-lum-bin1-w-

Now I've got something to work with I guess I'd better get practicing on photoshop...

Al

From my perspective it would seem an idea to send your raw data to someone who has experience with PS etc and then compare your output to theirs - not to test your skill  :)  but just to get an idea what is possible. It looks like there is a lot of detail so really the rest is "Airbrushing"  :D (got to love these Asrophotograhers - all ex OK magazine artists (joke)  :D ) I feel Kheldar's presence is disturbing the force.

Still I think its a good way to get access to other skies especially during the summer here.

Nice one Al  :thumbsup:

From my perspective it would seem an idea to send your raw data to someone who has experience with PS etc and then compare your output to theirs - not to test your skill  :)  but just to get an idea what is possible. It looks like there is a lot of detail so really the rest is "Airbrushing"  :D (got to love these Asrophotograhers - all ex OK magazine artists (joke)  :D ) I feel Kheldar's presence is disturbing the force.

Still I think its a good way to get access to other skies especially during the summer here.

Nice one Al  :thumbsup:

That's a really good idea.  Not bothered if it show up my lack of PS skills .... I fully recognise that I'm seriously lacking in this area but it will give me a good idea of what can be done, even with a small amount of data. 

Any volunteers  :)

Looks good. How many credits did that use to get the images?

To be honest ... Way too much!

The current rates for that particular scope is between 85 - 132 credits per hr.

Rates are dramatically cheaper when the moon discount is in force - that's the main reason my test images were done with Mr Blobby high in the sky!

My Starter-Trial subscription rate means I'm at the higher rate, but I won't be upgrading.

At my lower subscription level that works our at 1 credit = 1Aus Dollar = 54p  ....... So over £70 per hour of imaging time!  :o

The higher your monthly subscription the cheaper your credits and the cheaper hourly rate for each scope.

On the plus side, you do only pay for actual image time (time the shutter is open) and not time spent slewing/focusing/plate solving etc and they are very quick to refuld credits for any messed up images or imaging sessions. 

I had some free credits from signing up and my starter trial a few more from my  £10 subscription and pretty much used them all up. 

I won't be throwing £££ at this (I'd rather spend it on my own equipment) So I'll only be grabbing additional data in small batches.

At my self imposed limit of £10 per month I'm happy to have access to skies & equipment I wouldn't normally see or use and it's very useful for grabbing a few quick shots of events like comets etc .......  but it could become stupidly expensive if not done with some caution, certainly can't justify just jumping on any free scope and imaging any old thing that takes my fancy.