• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Sileby, Leicestershire

Guest heavensabove

Guest heavensabove

Hello! I have been an uninformed stargazer for many years and am constantly amazed by the night sky. I have a bird scope, which can be very useful, but now that I am retired and can afford the time to stay up late I would like to buy a decent astronomical scope and visit some of the dark sky areas. One more thing....and you say that no question is too stupid....what is the difference between a member and a dark site member?

Hi Alan

Welcome to the site.  You are a member by just signing on.  A dark site member pays £20 per year to use our 2 dark sites at Belper

and Wymeswold.  Anyone can visit one of the sites free for the first time to see if they get on with the rest of the nutters here :)

when you visit you can take a look at the scopes to give you an idea of what you would like to do.  Visual or imaging.

sheila

Hi Alan and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Yes as Sheila says - dark site members contribute to the rental of the sites and forum running costs.

Please do visit us sometime to meet the folks and have a look at/through some scopes - you'll find us very friendly and welcoming to astronomers at all levels from beginner to experienced.

Keep your eye on the "EMS Meets" board in the "Info and Announcements" section for the next meeting. Hope to see you there - meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions in the Beginners/Help sections. :)

Hi Alan, a warm welcome to EMS.

If you are contemplating buying a scope, feel free to ask what would suit both what you would expect from it, and the budget you would be planning to spend on it. 

This way you would avoid the disappointment some of us have had when buying one which didn't do as well as it may have claimed. 

Next time we get to have a meet, come along and say hello and have a look at some of the scopes.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Alan and welcome to EMS from another retiree, who has just taken up the hobby after dabbling over 30 years ago.

Don't rush to buy as it is a mine field, not so much to do with quality unless you go to a high street store but more to do with types and different uses.

As said above try some at one of the meets and get talking to people in the know.

I'm still considering my options after over a month....

Ade

Guest heavensabove

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to coming to a meeting. Thanks also for the advice about telescopes. I have found it all very bewildering with the many different scopes on offer. 

Guest fondofchips

Hi Alan and welcome to EMS from another retiree, who has just taken up the hobby after dabbling over 30 years ago.

Don't rush to buy as it is a mine field, not so much to do with quality unless you go to a high street store but more to do with types and different uses.

As said above try some at one of the meets and get talking to people in the know.

I'm still considering my options after over a month....

Ade

I would agree with Ade 101%, it took me about 10 weeks of research before I bought my first scope & I'm well pleased with it.

Welcome to the forum.

Guest heavensabove

Welcome to EMS Alan. A couple of useful bits :- Download a planetarium program, lots out there, but try Stellarium its great and free to be found here :--  http://www.stellarium.org/ also a copy of 'turn left at orion' these will help guide you round the sky.

Thanks for the advice about 'stellarium'. I have downloaded it and spent several very useful sessions getting to find my way around it. For any other newbies, I would really recommend it......and it's free!  :D