• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mounts - buying 2nd hand advice

Johnnyaardvark

Hi All,

I have been looking at a 2nd hand mount(s) (e.g. an NEQ6). I have been in contact with an owner and asked a few questions already but I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on buying 2nd hand. What to look out for etc.

Also the mount does not come with  tripod so wonder what my options are like. I did phone a shop today that advertises the tripod only on its website to get a feel for availability but they suggested it may be difficult to get hold of.

I am quite nervous about the idea of buying 2nd hand but do see that there are savings to be made.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I brought my set up used although I knew the seller very well ....which helps...most people do look after their stuff ....ask questions and try and get pictures ...there's a huge saving to be had

Go and see it, even if it means a bit of a drive. You can ask for it to be demonstrated to you and see anything that wasn't accurately mentioned in the description.

My first mount was a second hand EQ5 with RA tracking, posted from Scotland. It was disgusting. I phoned the vendor and told him he could have it back as it was not as described. So if it's a reasonable trip, go and see it, it may save a load of hassle.

I also agree with David, if you know someone, or a member of a society or forum, it's more than likely to be looked after. I have purchased loads of second hand, and most of the time it is as new, and perfect.

Feel free to ask, make sure it's going to do what you want of it.

Steve.

If you are unsure of what to look out for take someone along with you.

There must be plenty of folks on here who would be only too willing to come with you and and vet it for you.

It can be a bit worrying when spending that kind of money, but I took a mate with me when i bought my heq5, he put it through It's routine and after you have had one of course you know what to look for, I now have a neq6 which your more than welcome to pop round and see in action before you buy. Also some retailers sell open boxed mounts that have been to shows or returns which offer good discounts

I just purchased an NEQ6 tripod (no mount) second hand - they do come up from time to time. £50 is about right for one in good condition.

If you want a demo of what stuff to look for when buying a full mount/tripod you're very welcome to drop over my place sometime Steve and I'll take you through it - I've bought and sold a lot of gear. :)

Thanks all.

Had actually spoken to Rother Valley today and the chap suggested I may have difficulty getting a mount. Seemed a bit odd since they advertise them on their site (and as normally in stock)

Should be popping over to Mikes tomorrow so will have a look at the one at his place but thanks for the offer Kim.

Thanks re: ideas for legs/tripod only, but looks like i'll probably be leaving that particular 2nd hand mount for now.

I went and had a look at Red Dwalfs and Doc's mounts when they bought them. Doc met someone at the National Motor Cycle Museum car park near the NEC. Make sure they bring a battery to power it up. Get an idea before hand from someone else how much noise you expect to hear on slew and tracking, it can sound loud. Have an idea how much things move if you waggle them.

Second hand Astro gear tends to have been well looked after. All my gear is second hand.

I drove to High Wycombe and tried my mount out in Asda car park before buying it. My Canon camera was handed over in Morrison's car park in Newark.

In fact, I've just realised how much Astro activity happens in public car parks. Probably safer if there are lots of people about, you may be carrying a couple of hundred quid in cash.

Thanks James and Rob for the links/places to buy tripods. Looks like this mount may be gone anyway and had a few doubts about it. May still go and have a look if the 1st buyer is not interested. If I do I will hopefully be taking someone with me.

Thanks to Mike today also for letting me have a lift, look and listen to his. I now have a much better idea about how much and types of noises they make.

Great advice everyone!

Thanks

Steve

If you get Graham (Astrotech) to do a belt drive mod on the mount, there's no noise at all !! ;)

Cheers

Ron

If you get Graham (Astrotech) to do a belt drive mod on the mount, there's no noise at all !! ;)

Cheers

Ron

Well, theres a small "startup" noise at the beginning of the slew but nothing like the original, unmodified "CRUNCH" that it used to do on mine anyway!