• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello one and all

Guest Deano

I thought it was only good and proper to introduce myself after joining. My names Dean and I live in Burton upon Stather in North Lincolnshire. Having dabbled with stargazing on and off for a number of years, I decided to treat myself to a new telescope and spend a bit more time on the hobby.

My first visit to a North Lincs Astro Society meeting earlier this month resulted in meeting a good bunch and finding out one of the members was selling his Skywatcher 200pds. I emptied the money box and the scope now proudly sits in my garage eagerly awaiting clear skies.

I look forward to visiting the forum and hopefully learning as I go along. I still consider myself a beginer in astonomy and am looking forward to the journey ahead.

Cheers

Dean

Hi Dean and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Take a look in the ELAC section (East Lincs Astro Club). They have observing meetings over your way and you'll find them very welcoming and friendly - you'd enjoy a session with them I reckon - when the weather next allows lol.

Meantime enjoy the forum. :)

welcome to the forum, good purchase for a first scope, imaging capability also being the pds, what mount do you have ?

Thanks a lot for all the very nice and welcoming replies! I'll take a good look around the forum and hopefully pick up some useful advice and info.

Heavensabove - We'll have to share our experiences as we go along, good luck to you.

Brantuk - Thanks, I'll definitely check ELAC out for some meeting information.

Red dwarf - The scopes on a celestron EQ5 mount with the added motors for tracking. I got the setup from a nice guy called Paul Cotton who told me about this forum. Once I'm comfortable using the scope and got to know my way around the sky, I plan to have a go at some astrophotography. If I get results anywhere near Paul's and others on here, I'll be more than happy!

I know I'm being a bit lazy and getting ahead of myself slightly but when I do venture into the world of Astrophotography, will I be able to get mac versions of the processing software needed to produce images e.g. Registax I've heard mentioned? Any mac users out there on the forum? 

Hi Dean, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a good scope to be going on with and will keep you out of trouble for a while.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, someone will be along to help out.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Dean & welcome to EMS.

Every scope purchase comes with added cloud!

Ha ha! Cloudy every night since I got it so your spot on. Managed a quick look at Jupiter through some thin cloud Sunday, couldn't resist. Never looked up to the sky during the day so much...

Hi Dean, a warm welcome to EMS.

That's a good scope to be going on with and will keep you out of trouble for a while.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, someone will be along to help out.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Thanks Baz. I've been made to feel very welcome so far, I'm sure I'll be needing lots of help and guidance in the coming months / years. Can't wait for a clear night!

Hi Dean,

Glad to see you've joined up to the forum. :)

Paul

Thanks Paul however my purchase has cursed the skies! Cloudy ever since. Oh well, it's given me plenty of time to read the manual. Do I just need a 'T' ring to get me going with the canon 1100d? Got a bit confused with that bit on Sunday. Stellarium is great by the way :)